Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 bootloop after update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ewol

Ewol

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

So yeah i got the same problem as many others (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/updated-from-windows-10-10122-to-10130-now-stuck/98f02cde-519e-4e1f-a97f-1bd7a92e3f14) straight after it would need that reboot it asked for, to just end up in a reboot every time on the flicking character pre-boot screen (the _) it reboots and just after passing BIOS it does again.

That microsoft supplied a faulty update package is one thing, but getting my PC out of this unusable state is more important for me as method listed there didn't really work, also im not getting a success on boot repair as it also reboots after 3.5 seconds of that animation if it comes around.

Anyone knows how to recover it, rollback, or let it just process and finish so atleast i can get my windows back without losing stuff and having to re-install Windows 10, i know its easy to clean install that last build but i prefer an working state of my original system but cant find way to fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

After several failed boots the system should revert to the Startup Repair screen.  From there try (in this order) - Startup/Automatic Repair; System Restore, Refresh, Reset (the last one will wipe everything off the computer).

If unable to get to Startup Repair, then download a bootable version of the Win10 installation DVD and use that to access Startup Repair.

FWIW - it may just be easier to slave the hard drive to another system and back it up that way - then do a clean install of Win10.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:50 AM

Problem still continues.  I didn't know this thread existed, didn't go past page 1 of the Windows 10 forum, my bad.  So I started up a 'Loopy' thread.

If you look at page 2 of the Microsoft Insider link that Ewol posted above post#1, allegedly some find relief by, as Graham Newsome there put it on June 6th,

Try going into your BIOS Setup (ESC, DEL, F2 or whatever on Boot).

Set Non-Execute Memory Protection to ENABLED.

This has worked for the majority of users with this Looping problem.

4 people found this helpful

So now I'm doing that, but I suspect another problem is that RAID should be off.  If you'll recall, for Win7 RAID had to be on, or the OS wouldn't run.  For Win8, the setting had to be changed to AHCI.  So why wouldn't Win10 secretly have the same need?

Gonna stay up a few more hours and see if the looping stops.  For I have no prior build to go back to.

EDIT, RESULTS:  it doesn't help, but at least it was slow enough for me to get it into repair mode, by changing RAID to AHCI, so I could get into command prompt.

Here's what's happening: 
  • the loop means, at each reset, Windows creates a new windows.old file. I had EIGHT of them, even though I did a bare metal installation to a drive which was brand new (no files ever on it, I installed the drive myself).
  • Suddenly the MBR gets assigned a drive letter of 'C',
  • and the recovery partition of course remains 'D' (holding all those windows.old files).
  • E drive becomes what should have been C drive.
  • Since this isn't DOS anymore, I can't do a redirect or substitute on the letters.
  • The MS forum ideas don't work, because, inter alia, bootsect.exe has to know the drive letters.

But maybe there's another fix.  Gonna try something before explaining more.

EDIT AGAIN: the solution I'm trying (after renabling RAID) is the 'bootsect.exe' on page 2 of  post #1's link.  Problem is, I don't know if nt60 or nt52 should be used, but I did nt60 and it said everything got repaired (doesn't mean it's true).

EDIT AGAIN 6:28 am CT:  I thought that if I could get it into Command prompt from Advanced options, that I could trick the system into just accepting reassigned drive letters using diskpart and assign.  I was able to reassign the letters, but found out that only portions of the directories which should have been on the e re-assigned to C windows drive, were there.

So the loop keeps looping, also because not all the programs are installed.

This is hopeless, sorry I took the plunge but at least I can say I tried to make it work.

This 'Preview' never should have been released.  NO quality control.  So the 'new' version is not worth any more of my time. I should bill Microsoft for my time. So should we all.  Even freeware is better than this.

Edited by brainout, 29 June 2015 - 06:32 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users