Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card ruining my computer??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maxhide

Maxhide

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

Alright guys, let's see if we can figure this out once and for all. For about a week now I've been playing on my brand new computer (build will be below) with the hdmi from my monitor to motherboard not even realizing it. After figuring out how much of a mistake that was I finally realized I had to plug the hdmi from my monitor to the graphics card (silly me) after being plugged in there for about 3 or 4 minutes and me starting dark souls 2 and being amazed at the 100% improvement and graphics and movement the screen goes black. Looking back before the graphics card was up and running I installed the drivers. Now I get the graphics card actually working and it black screens every 5 minutes after starting up. I install the drivers again. (Could this be the problem?) and boom black screen upon startup. Now being the smart guy that I am decided to delete Intel graphics to force the card to be put to use. Now I'm in a pickle of my computer starting up with a black screen when plugged into either one of the ports. Maybe I installed the drivers wrong? Maybe I don't have enough power? Who knows.
Build:
Monitor: lg ultra wide 29 inch
Motherboard: z97-hd3 ultra durable
Graphics card: r9 270x gaming 4 gig
Power source: 550 watts
Ram: 8 gigs
Processor Intel i5 4430k 3.4 ghz
Any help suggestions or comment would be greatly appreciated. Just getting really frustrated and wanting this thing to work.
one more thing upon startup before it black screens I CAN get the BIOS up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

Try unplugging the electrical connection to your screen, both at the wall and on the back of the screen, and then re-plug it back in securely. It might not be getting enought current.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, you messed yourself up when you deleted the mainboard video drivers. If you have been making regular backups, now is the time to restore and in a few minutes your problem is over.

If you can get the BIOS screen your monitor is working.

Try entering Safe Mode; SM is intended for this type of thing. I can't guarantee that will work but it's worth a try. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are basic drivers in SM that will work and can't be deleted, but I can't swear to it. Let us know what happens.

Also....get a different vid card and swap it in (beg, borrow or steal one) maybe that will give you low-res basic video to get your drivers reinstalled.

Edited by ranchhand_, 13 June 2015 - 05:50 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:21 AM

Deleteing the onboard drivers was the wrong step.  Either use a reset jumper or remove the CMOS battery to get back to factory reset settings and the on board display should work again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users