Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot defrag. is this bad?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

old dell lap top inspiron 1000 xp home edition. went to system tools to clean up a little and i get a message....disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (c:).

please run chkdsk/f.   there is no disk in the slot. i may have caused part of the problem by opening the disc slot and putting nothing in there. iolo caused some issues awhile back [iolo is out for some time now] because they changed the way it starts up [goes to set up first] .could i just put any disk in there and then cancel ?i have ccleaner/malwarebytes and eset do any of those defrag ?thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

Reboot the system.

Go Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.  Reboot...the chkdsk /r command (which includes all things done by chkdsk /f) will run, allow it to complete.  Upon completion, the system will boot into XP.

Disk defrag may balk at running if files or the file structure is messed up, hence the suggestion to run chkkdsk /f.  Chkdsk /r is a better command to employ.

Louis

#3 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

i get the message....windows cannot find chkdsk/r...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

Did you put a space after chkdsk?

chkdsk /r 

#5 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

i put the space in and it took the command when i typed y and enter. now what ? reboot by shutting off and restarting then f12 ?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

When you typed the command did it say the drive needed to be locked? Press Y and then reboot. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 June 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#7 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

as usual you folks fixed it......many thanks. one more question. there are 4 indicator lights just above my key board [green lights] first on has a battery icon and lights up once and awhile next are pad lock icons cap locks,unknown and num lock. what is the unknown one it has and arrow pointing down in the pad lock icon ? i ask because a few days ago it was lit [i must have hit the wrong key] a restart and the light is out now

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

That is your scroll lock light. See page 15 of you manual here.

#9 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users