Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

understanding routers and private ip addresses

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reaching

reaching

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

Understanding Routers and Private Ip Address.

So, you guys helped me to unbridge router so I could have a private ip address.
Time Warner unbridged it and did not turn off the wifi so my system was I guess vulnerable because none of default passwords to router or wifi were changed.

When I became aware of this, I tried to access router with default password but it wouldn't let me in. So I reset modem/router, got access through default password, changed the password to get in, changed wifi passwords, then disabled wifi. I suppose this would be pretty secure but I see things I don't quite get.

For example, it lists all the devices that were connected to router at one point. So my computer was listed as offline By11(computer name)and DHCP is listed next to it with the option to block this device

Then the active connection is my computer By11 and it has Reserved next to it.

The ip address on my active computer was 192.168.0.4 and it had reserved ip next to it. I tried to select edit to try change to DHCP but if I hit save and go back to look, it's back to the reserve ip address.

I tried to manually type in the IP address I wanted but 192.168.02 but router said it was already taken (that was the very first ip address My desktop was assigned after router was unbridged). The tech told me that the first computer that connected to internet would get the .2 address and the others would get an ip address of up to .6.

Since these are private addresses all within my network, how can addresses be taken?

I did do ipconfig /release, ip config /renew but it stayed at .4 IP address.

Now the next day, when I sign up, the first computer (a laptop), I got the .4 address and the desktop got .5. What happened to the 192.168.0.2 addresses?

The DHCP server is listed as 192.168.0.1

Why is my desktop listed as Two separate devices, one with active connection and one without?

There were also two offline listings for my laptop, , one with reserved next to it and one with dhcp.

Why are computers listed twice when it's the same device?

Doesn't it know it's the same device through Mac address?

I'm guessing there's a reasonable explanation for this. Is everything okay?

Also I was looking at firewall settings.
Under IPV4, there three possible settings. I chose one and clicked save.

Under IPV6, there were two options: default and custom. Neither was selected. I select default click save but nothing happens. The save Button is dead. Does that mean ipv traffic is not firewalled?

This morning when I went to check, I found you could see details of offline devices. One laptop was listed as having a reserved IP of .05, yet.05 was the ip address of the computer I was on line with. I guess it wasn't in use so I stole it. Anyway, I blocked that connection to be safe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

Welcome to DHCP. Don't worry about IPv6, no one in the US uses it just yet.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 reaching

reaching
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

I guess that means it's normal.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

Yes and No. It sounds like DHCP is working but each device can be setup a little different. And that TWC devices sounds like it is. But I'd only worry if it starts acting up.

And the IPv6, is probably disabled, just like mine is. It's there for future proof stuff.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

Who is your provider? Comcast is fully deployed on ipv6 for residential, but only 30% of the people use it. That's due to modem/router to old and outdated, or the modem/router that doesn't play well with Comcast. I got a SB6121 and a netgear router and it works perfectly I got a IPv4 IP address and a IPv6 IP address. Both the modem and the router has to support it otherwise you won't get it. How many websites are ipv6 delpoyed is anyones guess. I know all the big networks, Google, Yahoo, etc have it.

#6 reaching

reaching
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Thank you both for your reply.

My internet service provider is Time Warner Cable.

I have an IPV6 address in netstat or ipconfig/whichever one shows I P address....the command prompt. The ipv6 address has (link) after it in one line.

In the network control center, in adapter settings, in properties, ipv6 protocol is checked. I recently unchecked it.

In the router where it lists devices, there is a section called ipv devices and it lists two of them-the same number followed by /1 or /2 to indicate difference.

In the router there's a page to set IPV6 settings. I clicked return to default but was booted out.

I have no idea what it all means so I unchecked it in adapter settings.

I just needed reassurance that all was okay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users