Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did my sound card die??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:50 AM

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy card (SB0570), and when I go into "sounds" and "playback devices" it is no longer there starting today.  I've always alternated back and forth between my external speakers (through the sound blaster card) and my built in pc sound card (for headphones/earphones), rather than to keep plugging them in and out each time I want to switch, I just used the playback sounds option to switch if I wanted to hear out loud via my speakers or if I wanted to use earphones.

Today when I went to switch to my external speakers, the option for sound blaster was not there anymore.  I did a reboot, I unseated the card and seated it back in and still no sign of the card option shows up.  I tried to download the drivers and it wouldn't let me install the drivers saying there was no compatible device detected in my computer.

Is there anything else I can try or is this a sign that the card itself just died somehow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

Try the card on a different system, please.  It only takes a minute to move it to a different system...another minute to test it for functionality.

You might also run the Windows Sound Troubleshooter.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:34 PM

In addition to Hamluis' suggestions, you might enter Device Manager and see if there are any problem icons on the sound card. In fact, if it is not listed in Device Manager it may have failed altogether.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:03 AM

Hi guys, I have moved the sound card into my back up computer.

Upon windows start up it said something like it was installing the device and then 1 minute later said 

it failed to install the device.  I looked it up and it was a multimedia audio controller. In the device manager,

under sounds, there is no soundblaster there either, but under "other devices" there is a multimedia audio controller

a conflict (yellow sign).  I tried to automatically update it and it said could not find it.

Then I think i downloaded and installed the sound blaster audigy sb0570 driver. It completed and asked me to reboot.

I did but it still didn't show a soundblaster card in my playback devices.

I tried the other drivers installed called audigy support pack, and it too said that it could not detect a compatible device

and so it aborted the installation.

But, when i went plug in my speakers to the sound card jacks in the back, I actually can hear the static coming through

all my speakers.  Does this mean the card is still dead or does that mean it's working but something else is not working?

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:39 AM

WTH?  Ok so when I returned the sound card back to my main computer, I just ran a bit of compressed air through the system, the slot, and the card just for the sake of knowing nothing else to do.

I'm now back on my main computer and I went to check the sound devices playback and boom, the sound blaster options are now back.  I tested it out and it works just like before.

I don't know if the dusting did it or if it was just coincidence, but for some reason its back and working again.  I  guess I'll keep u updated in the next few days or weeks if it continues to work if it stops working.  I don't know what caused it, and I'm both relieved its working again but also upset that it can just do this and waste literally a day or two of my life trying to fix the issue and the issue was nothing.  

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

If clearing dust from the system...solved the problem...I'd say that's conclusive.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#7 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

I really appreciate everyone's replies and taking the time to advise me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users