Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Packages won't Run

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:56 AM

Hey guy's, will someone tell me why some of my packages won't run.

I wanted to take a look at gdebi and see if I could use it to install a package but it won't come up.  It says that it is installed in the Package Manager but still won't come up.  Should I Uninstall and re-install in the Synaptic Package Manager?

Not sure why this is happening or if it is just normal and I don't know how to use it.

Had the same issue with rkhunter and chkrootkit.

Trying really hard to learn some Security measures but it is all quite daunting.  Using ClamAV for the most part and it seems to be sufficient.  Will try to run some of these other tools and see what comes up if anything.

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:06 AM

What OS?

I wanted to take a look at gdebi and see if I could use it to install a package but it won't come up

Open terminal and type

gdebi-gtk

If you get.

The program 'gdebi-gtk' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing

sudo apt-get install gdebi

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:58 AM

Thanks Nick, this is what I got and don't know what it means.  The Installer did come up but it appears that there are some packages missing?  Was I supposed to use "sudo" in front of this command.  Using "sudo" is running as root, right? and therefore I should be careful what I run with sudo?

** (gdebi-gtk:2957): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
WARNING:root:Error loading logo Icon 'gnome-mime-application-x-deb' not present in theme

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

I was wondering, do I need to install this package that is not showing installed? the gnome gui is installed but the kde is not.

When I type in gdebi in the Menu toolbar, the little KDE icon comes up with "Run gdebi" but when I click on that is does not run.

2vtwd8o.png

Edited by pcpunk, 13 June 2015 - 02:19 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:22 AM

If you're running KDE, then yes I'd say do this, especially being that you've said some of your packages wouldn't run.

will someone tell me why some of my packages won't run.

Maybe the KDE version of GDebi is needed.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:25 AM

Having the same issue with apparmor chkrootkit and rkhunter?  I checked and apparmor is running.  Just need a simple program to take care of security?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

What would be the basic command for starting up a program?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:59 AM

Hi punk, I haven't digested all this yet, I am only going from #3, so see if the following helps, that I put together off-forum:

I'll throw you a few questions and observations and let us know if they help:

1 As Nick said “What OS?”

Is it under Rebecca KDE you are experiencing the problems? Or if not, what?

2 What version of gdebi are you running (check your Package Manager)? The version that shipped with my Mate Qiana 17 was 0.9.5.3, but https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdebi have it that 0.9.5.5 is out now.

3 also note in that article that

gdebi: simple tool to view and install deb files - GNOME GUI
gdebi-core: simple tool to install deb files
gdebi-kde: simple tool to install deb files - KDE GUI

… there appear to be Gnome & KDE versions

My disclaimer here is that I have not (yet) used gdebi myself, so I am just “throwing it out there”.

4 ”Using "sudo" is running as root, right? and therefore I should be careful what I run with sudo?”

First part – No (well, sort of), 2nd part Yes!

At Terminal, Command

man su

reveals the su manual (191 lines), and

man sudo

reveals the sudo manual (a longer read at 553 lines). The su manual also has interesting links to other references such as

man login

, &c.

The use of sudo and su allow the user certain root privileges, and superuser privileges, but they do not actually put you completely at root.

One way of getting to root is as follows

sudo su -

… and in my case, this results as follows:

SKCr4qS.png

From then, until you type and enter Exit

yijVVVn.png

...you reallyARE root.

I could say “Kids, don't try this at home”, but more appropriate might be “Exercise with caution”.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you fare.

:wizardball: Wiz

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

Hi 

I'll throw you a few questions and observations and let us know if they help:

1 As Nick said “What OS?”

Is it under Rebecca KDE you are experiencing the problems? Or if not, what?  Yes.

2 What version of gdebi are you running (check your Package Manager)? The version that shipped with my Mate Qiana 17 was 0.9.5.3, but https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdebi have it that 0.9.5.5 is out now.  Same!

:wizardball: Wiz

Answers in blue above.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

WARNING:root:Error loading logo Icon 'gnome-mime-application-x-deb' not present in theme

This icon might be in a package that comes with Gnome-based desktops but not KDE. I have this icon installed on Kubuntu, but I installed some Gnome icon package a while ago when I was finding out why the latest version of ClamTK didn't work. To find out if you have this icon on your computer, first of all update the database for the locate command:
sudo updatedb
then:
sudo locate gnome-mime-application-x-deb

Having the same issue with apparmor chkrootkit and rkhunter? I checked and apparmor is running. Just need a simple program to take care of security?

To run chkrootkit:
sudo chkrootkit
Suckit rootkit is a known false positive.

rkhunter takes a lot longer to run and is much more complex. To use all its features effectively you would have to update its database after every time you install anything, and run it before you update its database, all of which is a lot of hassle for home users. Part of what rkhunter does is detect changes in files since its database was last updated, and "warns" you that the contents of files have changed. So just because you get lots of "warnings" doesn't mean that anything is wrong.

The first thing you should do in any case is update rkhunter:
sudo rkhunter --update
Then update its database:
sudo rkhunter --propupd
To use rkhunter to check the local file system:
sudo rkhunter -c
There are a few stages and you have to press enter at the prompt to continue to the next stage. When its finished, it will tell you that its written the results of the scan in /var/log/rkhunter.log. This will be a very long file (particularly if you did anything else on computer besides running rkhunter since you updated its database) and you need root permissions to read it. To read it using less:
sudo less /var/log/rkhunter.log
To ignore all the "warnings" about files having changed, hold down the spacebar to scroll down to the end of the file and see how many Suspect Files it reports, then press Ctrl^B (press b while holding down Ctrl) two or three times to scroll back up to the top of where it tells you which files it's referring to (just below the end of the final list of "warnings")

(press q to quit less)

Then search the internet for 'rkhunter' followed by the names of the files and see if you can find anyone having reported them as false positives.

Edited by Al1000, 13 June 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

but I installed some Gnome icon package a while ago when I was finding out why the latest version of ClamTK didn't work

Back when I was running KDE, experienced the same, one of the reasons why I didn't stick with Mint KDE.

ClamTK would show on the panel, yet the app itself wouldn't launch. There was another, though I forget which one it was, must not have been that important. Being that I ran ClamTK daily to quarantine all browser objects that may be passed to any of my other computers (especially any Windows installs), this is a 'must need' software for me. 

Who knows what else may or may not work, was the way I viewed KDE afterwards. 

Hope this helps, and let us know how you fare.

Good to see you around again, Wiz! :)

Either we've been posting in totally different places or you've been on leave, am glad you are still here & evidently OK. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 13 June 2015 - 11:20 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:36 PM

ClamTK would show on the panel, yet the app itself wouldn't launch. There was another, though I forget which one it was, must not have been that important. Being that I ran ClamTK daily to quarantine all browser objects that may be passed to any of my other computers (especially any Windows installs), this is a 'must need' software for me. 

Who knows what else may or may not work, was the way I viewed KDE afterwards.

I agree cat, I read up on it as I'm sure you have, and the updated ClamTK seems to do a little more, has more functionality.  I choose to believe that I am getting the same protection lol, and perhaps I am without some other functions.  Maybe I should try it out again, and report it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:49 PM

If you're running KDE, then yes I'd say do this, especially being that you've said some of your packages wouldn't run.

will someone tell me why some of my packages won't run.

Maybe the KDE version of GDebi is needed.

Cat

Tryied that cat, sorry forgot to reply.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:59 PM

This icon might be in a package that comes with Gnome-based desktops but not KDE. I have this icon installed on Kubuntu, but I installed some Gnome icon package a while ago when I was finding out why the latest version of ClamTK didn't work. To find out if you have this icon on your computer, first of all update the database for the locate command:
sudo updatedb
then:  I'm not sure this command did anything.  I did run the next one and then a bunch of files came up but nothing that said anything was installed.
sudo locate gnome-mime-application-x-deb

Having the same issue with apparmor chkrootkit and rkhunter? I checked and apparmor is running. Just need a simple program to take care of security?

To run chkrootkit:  I will try  this once I get this other stuff and re-boot.  I remember the whole Suckit rootkit thing.
sudo chkrootkit
Suckit rootkit is a known false positive.

rkhunter takes a lot longer to run and is much more complex. To use all its features effectively you would have to update its database after every time you install anything, and run it before you update its database, all of which is a lot of hassle for home users. Part of what rkhunter does is detect changes in files since its database was last updated, and "warns" you that the contents of files have changed. So just because you get lots of "warnings" doesn't mean that anything is wrong.

The first thing you should do in any case is update rkhunter:  This command did not work.
sudo rkhunter --update
Then update its database:
sudo rkhunter --propupd
To use rkhunter to check the local file system:
sudo rkhunter -c
There are a few stages and you have to press enter at the prompt to continue to the next stage. When its finished, it will tell you that its written the results of the scan in /var/log/rkhunter.log. This will be a very long file (particularly if you did anything else on computer besides running rkhunter since you updated its database) and you need root permissions to read it. To read it using less:
sudo less /var/log/rkhunter.log
To ignore all the "warnings" about files having changed, hold down the spacebar to scroll down to the end of the file and see how many Suspect Files it reports, then press Ctrl^B (press b while holding down Ctrl) two or three times to scroll back up to the top of where it tells you which files it's referring to (just below the end of the final list of "warnings")

(press q to quit less)

Then search the internet for 'rkhunter' followed by the names of the files and see if you can find anyone having reported them as false positives.

Thanks Al000, answers in blue above.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:15 AM

gdebi still don't come up?

Ok, thanks chkrootkit ran and all was good.

Opps rkhunter was uninstalled, I must have uninstalled it.

Here is output:

Checking rkhunter data files...
  Checking file mirrors.dat                                  [ No update ]
  Checking file programs_bad.dat                             [ Updated ]
  Checking file backdoorports.dat                            [ No update ]
  Checking file suspscan.dat                                 [ No update ]
  Checking file i18n/cn                                      [ No update ]
  Checking file i18n/de                                      [ Updated ]
  Checking file i18n/en                                      [ Updated ]
  Checking file i18n/tr                                      [ Updated ]
  Checking file i18n/tr.utf8                                 [ Updated ]
  Checking file i18n/zh                                      [ No update ]