Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop appears to be infected by malware that does this:

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roadwing

roadwing

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:41 PM

Upon initial boot, everything is very slow to respond. Eventually, the desktop appears, but then a high-low tone is heard, then a low- high tone is heard. A few seconds later, another high-low tone and then a shorter pause before hearing the next low-high tone. The pause between the two tone combinations gets shorter and shorter, until the screen goes black and either shuts down the computer OR brings up a BSOD.  Because of the decreasing amount of time, I am unable to do anything to stop it from reaching the endpoint of its behavior. Please help me get rid of this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:33 PM

I would strongly advise you not waste heaps of time & headache chasing ghosts... rebuild it or put it back to Factory.

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 12 June 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:17 AM

This sounds more like a hardware issue than malware... it is strange yes, but I cannot think of any malware presently in the wild that does this.

I suggest that you seek help in either Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support or Internal Hardware.

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:51 AM

Alex,

The very reason I want to redo the OS is to eliminate the possibility of corruption in it.  Once it is 'fresh', if the behavior persists, then we can look @ possible hardware issues.  But, getting the OS renewed is quick, easy & painless.  I am not disputing it could be hardware but, let's eliminate the OS 1st. 

The beeping does suggest hardware, also.  The ideal would be have it in a shop where components could be swapped out & tested.  Probably either RAM or M/B.  Although, M/Bs fail, it is rare.

'Roadwing' (geeez, sometimes wish we knew & could use normal, regular 1st names) What particular noises do you hear from the HDD?  Any or any unusual or abnormal sounds (clicking or grinding)?

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 13 June 2015 - 01:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users