Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to change ip?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NEMS

NEMS

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

my isp gives a static ip address by default

i called them and said to give me a dynamic ip, they said they can't unless i purchase a business account

i told them to tell me how to change my ip then, they said i need to unplug my modem for a minimum of 48 hours

i asked them if they can do it on their end, they said they cannot and "they don't know how to and i should google it" they actually said this

so they didn't help at all and i was snooping around my modem page and came across this, is it relevant to what i need to be done?

gdv8ADo.jpg

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 June 2015 - 08:14 PM.
moved from General Security to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hi NEMS :)

The page you are on are for private IP address management, which means, IP address on your own internal network. Not public IP addresses to go on the Internet. Sadly, there's no other way than doing what your ISP told you to do. Consumers don't have any control on the IP address they receive from their ISP if it's a static one. You have to keep it unless they assign you another one or you do as they say (and even there, it would defeat the purpose of having a "static" IP address). I'm sorry but this isn't something you can "go around".

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

So your ISP is the reverse of every ISP I have ever delt with. Static IP is a business level thing at most ISPs.. So why do you need a different WAN IP address? The page you are showing is for you LAN so no, won't help.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 NEMS

NEMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

So I figured I can change my ip when I change my mac address of the router

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Whenever someone asks how to change their IP address my first wonder is WHY?

I believe you have it backwards.  Your ISP assigns you a dynamic IP address and you have to pay to get a static IP address.

You're going to have to do as your ISP instructed and be without Internet for two days if you want to change your public IP address.  Even then it is possible that you could be reassigned the same IP address and have to try again.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

NEMS, are you changing your public or private IP address that way?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 NEMS

NEMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

Whenever someone asks how to change their IP address my first wonder is WHY?

I believe you have it backwards.  Your ISP assigns you a dynamic IP address and you have to pay to get a static IP address.

You're going to have to do as your ISP instructed and be without Internet for two days if you want to change your public IP address.  Even then it is possible that you could be reassigned the same IP address and have to try again.

4 reasons to why I want to change my ip address:

1. Privacy

2. Because I want to

3. Boredom

4. To learn how it is done so I can assist others that may want theirs changed but don't know how to

NEMS, are you changing your public or private IP address that way?

It changes my public IP

Modem -> Router -> NIC on PC

My mobo's onboard NIC has the option to change the MAC address, therefore it changes my public IP

However, I haven't been able to find the right octet for the mac address to change the ip range fully, it only changes the * digits

Example: 000.000.***.***

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

You do know how public IPs work right? Depending on the mask the octet(s) that is for hosts is all that will change. ISPs are given a block of IP addresses and they subnet those. Most are going to be class B so the only numbers that will ever change are the last 2 octets.

On a private LAN, the majority of them are class C - 192.168.Y.X. with a mask of 255.255.255.0. Y is normally 0 or 1 out of the box. And with the 255.255.255.0 mask X is the only thing that will change.

So if you want all 4 octets of the WAN IP to change, get a new ISP. 

Also, if you can get the last 2 octets to change, you do not have a static IP.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 13 June 2015 - 10:52 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

"My mobo's onboard NIC has the option to change the MAC address, therefore it changes my public IP"

You misunderstand.  Your pcs mac address doesn't have a thing to do with your public ip address.

Mac addresses/Ethernet addresses are not in octets.  Its 42 bits not 32 like tcp/ip.

I don't think you are clear on some of the base concepts concerning ip addressing and how mac addresses work.

#10 NEMS

NEMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

"My mobo's onboard NIC has the option to change the MAC address, therefore it changes my public IP"

You misunderstand.  Your pcs mac address doesn't have a thing to do with your public ip address.

Mac addresses/Ethernet addresses are not in octets.  Its 42 bits not 32 like tcp/ip.

I don't think you are clear on some of the base concepts concerning ip addressing and how mac addresses work.

public ip address is the ip address people are able to see

changing my pcs mac address changes my public ip address

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:14 PM

Where are you seeing your new public IP address NEMS?

unite_blue.png

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:30 AM

I don't know what router that is, but you look for something like "Router Mac address" probably under the gateway function tab. Change it from default to use computer's mac address. Or enter in a new mac address. That will change the WAN ip that the ISP's dhcp server assigns your router. You may have to power cycle the modem and router for the changes to take effect.

Edited by technonymous, 14 June 2015 - 12:32 AM.

#13 NEMS

NEMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

Where are you seeing your new public IP address NEMS?

well, for example if i google search "what's my ip address" it comes up, it even says "public ip address"

changing my WAN mac address changes my public ip address

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users