Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavilion G6 Fan Starts and Stops

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daldrys

daldrys

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hello,

My fan start and stops every 2 second or so, i opened the laptop cleaned the fan put new thermal paste, BIOS is up to date, don't know what to do, can someone help me.?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

No answers ? :(

I noticed now after cleaning the whole thing, it is working , however once it get really hot like over 95, this start/stop restart again .

Could it be some setting embedded? or maybe even a virus ?

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:54 PM

hot like over 95

If you are talking over 95°C, you are way-y-y-y over the top too high. Where are you getting this temp reading from? Your CPU is in danger if this is an accurate reading.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:09 AM

hot like over 95

If you are talking over 95°C, you are way-y-y-y over the top too high. Where are you getting this temp reading from? Your CPU is in danger if this is an accurate reading.

I installed a software : core temp!

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

Ok....just to double-check: is this Centigrade of Fahrenheit reading? If Centigrade, you are dangerously too high; meltdown of a chip is around 90°Centigrade, give or take.

Go Here and download Open Hardware; run it and see if it confirms your Centigrade readings on your cores. Post back.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:21 AM

Ok....just to double-check: is this Centigrade of Fahrenheit reading? If Centigrade, you are dangerously too high; meltdown of a chip is around 90°Centigrade, give or take.

Go Here and download Open Hardware; run it and see if it confirms your Centigrade readings on your cores. Post back.

Yes it was centigrade , now when it is functioning in a normal way it shows around 70 C° !

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

functioning in a normal way

I assume that means that you are not a heavy gamer or running video editing/rendering programs; if it is 70° when just idling or using email or word processor, you are still running too hot. You should be no more than 45°C max at idle. For example, right now I am running at 41°C just on the web and typing; my max will hit 50°C when rendering one of my home videos using Avid or running a big game. Of course, I am running a water-cooled system so that is more efficient than stock air cooled heat sinks, but gives you an idea. You either have not applied your thermal grease on the heatsink properly, need a major cleaning of your box, and/or have poor air-flow ventilation in your box.

Take your box outside on the rear deck, and use a vacuum cleaner with the airflow reversed (blowing not vacuum) and put a crevice tool on the end. You may be surprised at the dust that comes out. Do not touch any of the components with the crevice tool, just direct the airflow. Then leave the side off of the box, and put a fan blowing in on high and run your unit as usual. Do you see a dramatic drop in temp? If so, you have an airflow exhaust problem.

#8 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:08 AM

Well, it stays the same when I am using photoshop for example or playing videoes, my laptop though have this double Graphic card , when using the AMD one the fan usually start to turn faster.

For the thermal paste, I think I put too much of it, on both places , would this create a problem?

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

Absolutely. Thermal grease (not paste, you aren't gluing anything) is what the term signifies, "grease". You must use barely enough to get the top of the CPU covered and no more.

This thermal grease expands as it heats; if too much is applied it will run down the sides of the chip and short out the tiny contacts at various locations on the wafer and cause problems. Start with a single, narrow strip down the center of the chip and apply it evenly, about the thickness of a sheet of paper, no more. A bit thinner is even better.

I think I put too much of it, on both places

You only apply the grease to the top of the chip only, you do not also apply it to the bottom of the heatsink.

Here is a good tutorial from Arctic Silver;

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

#10 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

Thank you for the answer,

however for my Laptop there is to chips that are cooled by the same heat sink, that what I meant by the two places . my laptop is HP Pavilion G6 processor I5.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

to chips that are cooled

Sorry....that's right, you have a laptop. I don't know why my mind didn't register that. :rolleyes: Sorry, again. I was thinking of a desktop.

Do you mean that you removed the heatsink on a laptop? Unfortunately, that is out of my experience level. I have opened up laptops many times for general repairs, add memory, change out a HDD, replace the power jack plug, and so forth. I never have messed with the actual mainboard and CPU. The advice I gave about the thermal grease is correct, but I have no experience with resetting a heatsink on a laptop. However, if you are overheating up to 95C that is way too high.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 June 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#12 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

to chips that are cooled

Sorry....that's right, you have a laptop. I don't know why my mind didn't register that. :rolleyes: Sorry, again. I was thinking of a desktop.

Do you mean that you removed the heatsink on a laptop? Unfortunately, that is out of my experience level. I have opened up laptops many times for general repairs, add memory, change out a HDD, replace the power jack plug, and so forth. I never have messed with the actual mainboard and CPU. The advice I gave about the thermal grease is correct, but I have no experience with resetting a heatsink on a laptop. However, if you are overheating up to 95C that is way too high.

That's OK, thank you anyway for the help, I opened it again applied the grease properly , but still the same temperatures , and in a while the fan start doing it again, stop then restart , I am not sure if changing the fan would help , because it turns properly ...

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

Well, the only thing I can come up is that you might have a cool & quiet setting in the BIOS, and the top-end temp setting is too high; on my desktop I can set the fan RPMs higher and I have it set at 70°C, although it never has had to kick in even with my overclocking the CPU. Another thing you can consider is a cooler pad; many of these come with a built-in fan to sit the laptop on. I would rather find the problem, but as a last resort it is an option. Other than that, all I can say is that the airflow is blocked somehow. You can try getting some of these small, rubber "feet" that have adhesive on the bottom and raises the bottom up off the table. You can try propping up the lap with books or something to test first. Other than that I am at a loss. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users