Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

loss of pix

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deigh

Deigh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

I'm using a samsung laptop with windows 8.1 . Recently my picasa3 program said it was going to zip some pix to make more space, and as a result I have lost masses of pictures.

Question is ...When a computer does this where can I find the zip files it has created and hidden?

Deigh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hello Deigh -
Unlike some Aussies I do not hate all kiwis unless they are beating us at cricket etc. :notme: and I will use small words :hysterical: You must know I am only joking.

There are times that Forum work is boring, so we (read I) do like to have a laugh ..............

Question is ...When a computer does this where can I find the zip files it has created and hidden?

Can you please tell us where you have looked (Pictures / Paint / Picassa / Documents any other ?).

You generally give an OK to programs to do this, or you limit the amount of space a minor program (like Picassa) will retain...

When a pop-up like this shows, it often gives you several options Pictures / Paint / Documents and others, or it tells you, but you may have missed it (while doing haka) "again I jest", and leave the floor open for you to make a few Aussie jokes back to me.

I do understand that this can concern people if there are valuable photos / art works etc, but please tell us what you have done so far, as you do not list any directions you followed

(Sincere) Thank You -

#3 Deigh

Deigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Well, I have looked through C but not spotted anything that looks like a zip file. Would it have a special title?

Love the        War doesn't ever determine who is right .  War only ever determines who is left    

statement under your message!

I have often thought of adding to mine......If we are on earth to help others, what the hell are they here for?

Deigh

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

Would it have a special title?

Yes, it should be titled Picassa or similar, and that is why I gave the ideas of Documents and other areas ......

Are you sure that there was no notice except for ------- >> my picasa3 program said it was going to zip some pix << as this often says more.

I still think it is in your Picassa program, but just zipped to allow for more space ....

Have you checked there, and is there any space / files / details listed ? ?

I do not use that program (Picassa), but I will see if it still exists on mine, as I think I removed a few to make this easier to navigate.

Thanks -

Extra - If you click on your name (very top right) there are listings for settings, and your "Signature" is one of these settings.

P.S. I forgot "Welcome to the forum" in my opening remarks, and I hope that it was easy to find this area.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:31 PM

A bit of searching (and help from other Aussies)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579293/loss-of-pix/#entry3733033

If you can remember the name of just ONE of the pics affected....enter that name in the search box ... ??

or...

http://picasageeks.com/2009/06/picasa-tip-where-are-my-collages/

http://picasageeks.com/tag/picasa-does-not-store-pictures/

Just for ideas -

#6 Deigh

Deigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

1.  Sorry, no pix were named, all were identified only by the number automatically allocated by the device.

2.  Can't remember the exact warning Picassa gave before squishing my pix but I know for sure I did not authorise it.

3.   Thanks for picasageeks tips, am working my way through.

4.    Still cant get my picture to upload, I have done it successfully on other forums!

Deigh

#7 Deigh

Deigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

Picassa just did it again.....wording was something like.......Picassa is compacting files to save space

Had just  started to reload files from WD Elements backup device.

Deigh

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

A bit more help from another Aussie (I said that some of us are nice)

http://picasageeks.com/2013/01/picasa-understanding-why-you-dont-have-to-save-your-work/

So....show hidden files/folders etc

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
  2. Click the View tab.
  3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

((When you “save” a picture in Picasa the original is backed up in an extra subfolder “.picasaoriginals”, ))

Then...go and look for....   picasaoriginals

Next - Still cant get my picture to upload, <<< Basically, use the "More Reply Options" and select the picture or other item you wish to upload, (it will show as jpg xxxxxxx) and select "add to post", then use the "Preview Post" at the bottom right side to check if it is what you want. You can "Remove from post" and still use the Preview button to check your reply

I hope these are helping, or at least leading you in the right direction ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users