Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Cannot Boot from a Charged Battery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alphaa10

alphaa10

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

This HP laptop, model DV2125NR, running XP Media Center, cannot boot from its battery, alone. Yet, the battery is known to be in good condition and fully charged.

To make matters more interesting, the laptop can boot with only its AC adapter (that is, without a battery installed), and can boot with both the AC adapter and the (good) battery installed. But not from its battery, alone.

The battery-only configuration does permit the CPU fan to run (airflow present), does permit the hard drive to run, and displays operating LEDs. However, the machine simply does not go into the boot process. I suspect the laptop fails to sense the battery has a full charge, so perhaps the charging circuit interconnection is faulty, in some way.

In addition to the original battery, a second (new) battery was purchased to aid in diagnostics. However, that battery, when fully charged and used in a battery-only configuration, does only what the original battery does-- runs the fan, but halts the boot process after the splash screen.

When installed the new battery, attached the power adapter and started, I abruptly disconnected the power adapter at the moment the system reached the HP logo screen, and the machine continued into the XP desktop display. With screen display of the new battery charge level at 100 percent, I was able to run an intensive operation like AV scan with only the battery. After 20 minutes of operation,. the battery was at 84 percent. 

Because this machine also has overheating issues, I shut down at that point. The CPU temp had reached 165F, and I definitely do not want to play with that situation. But once I have cleaned the machine of all dust (fan has been verified to run), I can explore the situation further.

Any ideas on why the laptop does not boot from a new battery?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

The only thing I can imagine is some kind of hardware (connection) problem either on the motherboard or the battery connectors on the laptop are possibly physically broken or bad connection.  Or something wrong with the battery.  Why does the laptop have such high temperatures.  I suspect there is probably something wrong with the motherboard or a connection with the battery to the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users