Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to reload win 7 but "NTLDR is missing"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

This desktop unit is "I think" a Dell machine, no sticker anywhere and the front panel is missing. I came with 2 HDD's, a Samsung IDE which is damaged and a Sandisk SSD drive [small thing like the size of a credit card], apparently win7 was loaded on it before but now on bootup I am getting the "NTLDR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" and win7 will not load, the CDRom option is selected in the boot options. I had attached the SSD drive as a slave on another machine and no issues navigating through it so the drive seems fine, any ideas why win7 won't load on it or what else I can try please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

NTLDR is a XP boot file. Maybe XP was on the damaged disk. If you have a System Repair Disk for Windows 7 boot it with the IDE disconnected. Select Startup Repair. It may take up to three tries before the Windows 7 boot files are restored. 

When you connected the SSD as a slave drive how many partitions did you see on the disk? Was there a 100MB system reserved partition? How big is the SSD?

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 June 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

Not sure I understand, I have a

If you have a System Repair Disk for Windows 7 boot it with the IDE disconnected. Select Startup Repair. It may take up to three tries before the Windows 7 boot files are restored. 

Not sure I understand what you mean by "System repair disk", I have a win7 disk?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

You may need to boot into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD drive is the first item in the order and the SSD the second item.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hmnn, went to the BIOS cdrom was first SSD as second so I left as is then restarted and it worked :), thanks!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:47 PM

The Startup Repair solved the problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

No, it didn't so I reloaded the OS, only got some "website security" issues to work on now.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

got that taken care of, problem solved, thanks again!

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:43 PM

Oh BTW guys, he did not get the win7 product key as promised and now he wants me to "reformat the SSD drive and leave it like that". What I did was put in my win7 disk again and reformat the drive at the install screen then shut down the pc, now when I powered up on that drive, it is showing 'boot manager missing", is that it or is there something else I should be doing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users