Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Help/Options

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

I have attached a picture of the screen options i am getting everytime i boot up a windows vista computer.....i have to choose every time to boot up windows vista or windows 7 (recovered)

the computer works perfectly fine when i choose vista (its a licensed windows vista computer)

the windows vista OS is only about 4 months old installed on this hard drive and its activated,

at one point in time i connected a hard drive from another computer via USB to this computer with windows 7 on it to do some repair work on the windows 7 drive, but i never copied anything (that i know of) to my hard drive,

i have checked the partitions on the drive and there are none, there are no seperate windows 7 partitions,

how do i get rid of this? and why is it doing this?....it sounds like there are two OS now installed on the computer? but to my knowledge there are not,

i dont really wanna wipe the drive if i dont have to

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

Try going to system configuration >boot tab. (You can get to it from either administrative tools, or typing msconfig in the search box).

if there is a windows 7 option, highlight and delete that option. Press ok and restart. See if that removes your problem.  

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

Try going to system configuration >boot tab. (You can get to it from either administrative tools, or typing msconfig in the search box).

if there is a windows 7 option, highlight and delete that option. Press ok and restart. See if that removes your problem.  

thanks a lot, that worked!

one additional question.....do you think there is windows 7 software now on the drive that could be removed?

the only reason i ask is because after this happened it seemed like a lot more hard drive space was taken up (and still is) then normal

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

How much space are you talking about?  

Just to clarify, You booted into Windows 7 when you hooked up the other drive?

I would think that just boot manager was changed when you were working with the other drive.  I see no reason why 7 would have installed anything on your Vista partition.  In a dual boot configuration, the 2 OS's are completely separate, whether on a different partition or a different HD.  Also, if your Vista installation was accidentally changed, you would be having all kinds of problems. 

You probably just started to notice the hard drive space more after this happened.  (System Restore alone can eat up 20-25GBs in a couple of weeks on a 250GB HD, before it starts deleting old restore points).

If your system's running well I would suggest you just stick to a regular maintenance routine, (i.e. updates, cleanups, scheduled defrags, chkdsk /f, etc.)  

Don't know if you use CCleaner, but I highly recommend it. (though i would disable the new monitoring feature in options)  If you are lax about cleanup, you will probably get several gigs back on a default cleanup run.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Mark 

Edited by MarkMCS, 12 June 2015 - 08:56 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

In addition to what Mark has said I recommend doing an Extended Cleanup:

>cmd, Run as admin
Type, cleanmgr sageset:01  Hit ENTER
In the window that appears check almost all the boxes.  Highlight each item, gives a blurb telling about each & whether ok to included or not.  Hit OK
Now, again, in cmd type, cleanmgr sagerun:01  Hit ENTER

This can, also, wisely be configured as a Scheduled Task to be run automatically daily.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 12 June 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#6 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

How much space are you talking about?  

Just to clarify, You booted into Windows 7 when you hooked up the other drive?

I would think that just boot manager was changed when you were working with the other drive.  I see no reason why 7 would have installed anything on your Vista partition.  In a dual boot configuration, the 2 OS's are completely separate, whether on a different partition or a different HD.  Also, if your Vista installation was accidentally changed, you would be having all kinds of problems. 

You probably just started to notice the hard drive space more after this happened.  (System Restore alone can eat up 20-25GBs in a couple of weeks on a 250GB HD, before it starts deleting old restore points).

If your system's running well I would suggest you just stick to a regular maintenance routine, (i.e. updates, cleanups, scheduled defrags, chkdsk /f, etc.)  

Don't know if you use CCleaner, but I highly recommend it. (though i would disable the new monitoring feature in options)  If you are lax about cleanup, you will probably get several gigs back on a default cleanup run.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Mark 

i never booted the vista computer from the windows 7 drive, all i did was connect it with USB to check out the health of the drive and copy some files, but the computer was always running with the Vista OS, maybe its my imagination that more dish space is takan up, thanks for your help

In addition to what Mark has said I recommend doing an Extended Cleanup:

>cmd, Run as admin
Type, cleanmgr sageset:01  Hit ENTER
In the window that appears check almost all the boxes.  Highlight each item, gives a blurb telling about each & whether ok to included or not.  Hit OK
Now, again, in cmd type, cleanmgr sagerun:01  Hit ENTER

This can, also, wisely be configured as a Scheduled Task to be run automatically daily.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

thanks i will try that

#7 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:07 PM

You're welcome.