Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Tutorials would you like to see in the Linux How-To and Tutorial Section?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

Having recently created the Linux How-To and Tutorial Section sub-forum, we are now focussing on growing it.

Hopefully this thread will serve two purposes:

1) Find out what tutorials members would like to see.

2) Give members who are willing and able to contribute to the sub-forum, ideas as to what tutorials might be appreciated.

So what tutorials would you like to see?

Is there anything in particular that you had problems with when you first started using Linux, that you think novices might want to see a tutorial on?

Is there any application that you think others might be interested in seeing a tutorial on?

Are you familiar enough with using any particular application, or aspect of using Linux, to be able to write a clear and concise tutorial on it with step by step instructions, and would you be willing to do so?

Please see the Submission Guidelines and How to Post Linux How-To's and Tutorials thread for further information on thread submissions.

Invitations have already been sent to a few members who post regularly and who's expertise and knowledge we appreciate in particular, but all submissions that follow the Submission Guidelines are welcome.

Threads in the sub-forum are not locked (except the sticky threads), and we also appreciate any further relevant information that is added to any existing thread.

If you would like to recommend any particular Linux application and can provide instructions on how to install it, please see the Recommended Linux Applications and How to Install Them thread.

EDITED: Fixed broken link.

Edited by Al1000, 09 November 2015 - 01:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Al.

Hopefully in the next few days I can put out a basic how to create a Oracle VM on a Linux host and how to install a Linux guest OS.

Then I want to do a basic create a Live USB or DVD.

As I do not have Whingedoz maybe somebody could do a tut on basic dual booting?

I will also do a few things with puppy as I am sure Al will, For example that trick to force update the browser. Also how to install ( Like to HDD ) Puppy to USB and SSD.

There is nothing I hate worse than having to link to some tutorial on another site, And with your help we hope to change that. The Linux section on BC is growing all the time, What I am starting to see is a growing community of Linux users who love helping others while learning something new. ( Not always on topic but hey its Linux and we love going against the establishment )

Great work everyone, Now lets make it even better.

Edited by NickAu, 12 June 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:14 AM

1) I feel that tutorials for both VirtualBox & VMware Player (both Free) would be good to see.

Much of the VMware tutorial was in my Topic on the issue, and I go back to it when installing VMware player on Linux. The VMware Player has one solid advantage, being easily able to attach/detach internal/external decices w/out additional configuration. Plug & Play, of course, any printer drivers would need to be installed on the guest OS. As well as being able to add move video memory (VRAM) from the installed RAM for video. The more RAM one has, the more that can be offered. VBox restricts this to 256MB, while some VMware VM's can be configured to use up to 2GB of RAM (from the host) for graphics.

VirtualBox has just made these simple tasks harder over time, rather than easier.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561805/need-help-with-installing-latest-vmware-player-on-linux-mint-171/

2) Installing the latest NVIDIA cards on Linux, though this may be covered in Nick's Topic already. Still, the newer cards has to be manually configured, if wanting to keep up with the latest driver offerings, which NVIDIA releases monthly, there has to be a way to automatically offer updates. This would involve adding the Michael Marley PPA updates, which is where I got driver version 352.09 from.

https://launchpad.net/~mamarley/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia

Not everyone will agree with me on this one, yet the drivers in the Package Manager 'as is' are old. Spending $200 for a card manufactured this year & installing 1+ year old drivers is just plain backwards thinking. Though some of these may be appropiate for those with older cards, newer ones performs better with the latest drivers. Using Windows, this is simple, just install GeForce Experience & the rest is taken care of. The same can be added to Linux to get the latest drivers via PPA.

Is it a perfect solution? No, yet it was the only way I could install the latest Linux drivers on a MSI GTX 960, released in February 2015 with ongoing support.

3) A clear cut tutorial for those who are installing Linux distros when a Broadcom wireless card is in use. My solution would be to swap for an internal card that would be a suitable replacement for under $10. However, not everyone has that expertise, and it would be great to post a tutorial on how to do this, rather than seeing Topics going back & forth, taking shots in the dark.

That's all for now, yet may have more later. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:27 AM

I would love to see some SIMPLE AV programs for linux.  The options are daunting and have wasted hours reading up on all this stuff.  Isn't there a simple solution for the lite user like me.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

Of course there are, we need to see what all's available that built into the OS, yet maybe not activared.

Am a bit unsure of what AppArmor does, it'll have to be checked out for accruracy. We had a discussion about it a while back right on this Forum (I believe Kaosu was in on it), maybe it was forgotten.

hollowface also introduced us to a new, free AV for Linux, maybe it should be a tutorial as well, it's about Linux security.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578679/sophos-antivirus-for-linux/

Nick showed me how to install it in Post #23 of this Topic (you can read it all if you like). The important part was the installation. Which is simple, if you follow Nick's instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578058/5-tips-to-improve-your-linux-desktop-security/page-2

If you have further questions at this time, please ask in one of those Topics, this one's not for problem solving, rather for tutorials.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 June 2015 - 12:08 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:25 PM

It is a tutorial already and I already read it, but he is still testing it out.  The second link is only a copy of what is provided in the first link.  The install instructions that Nick gave you are in that tutorial from hollowface.  I re-read some of our old posts on apparmor and such but it is still over my head.  I re-learned some stuff but still, it would do no good to implement any of the things mentioned as I don't know what they do and would not be able to disable them quickly if needed.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:39 PM

This is why I was looking into avast, hoping that it would have a gui that would explain some of the options in human terms.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:49 PM

I already read it, but he is still testing it out.

Not sure what you mean... I do still have Sophos installed and am enjoying it, but I haven't been doing any additional testing. There is definitely more stuff one can do than I covered, as there are lots of different options on some of the commands, but at the moment I've no plans to test, or expand upon my initial posting.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:44 AM

This is why I was looking into avast, hoping that it would have a gui that would explain some of the options in human terms.

That's why I provided a link in your other post in regards to Avast, it's no longer Free for Linux users, other than asking for a time limited Trial. After that, you have to pay. I covered that in Post #20 of this Topic. What's the point of installing software & then have to remove 15 to 30 days later if you're not willing to pay? That's as clear of an explanation in human terms as it gets. If you still want to get Avast for Linux, then the needed instructions/docs will be included with the software & there will be professional support offered, which is the norm with licensed software. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578058/5-tips-to-improve-your-linux-desktop-security/page-2#entry3734054

It's also been explained several times that there are no Linux infections 'in the wild' by someone whom knows a lot more about Linux than the two of us combined does & also a leader of the Malware Team on this site. That doesn't imply that there will be none in the future, yet for now, that's the way it stands. 

I've ran Linux Mint for over 6 years to date & Linux as a whole about 3-4 months longer & never have been hit with a major infection. Just the stuff that ClamTK finds, which is the equivalent of SuperAntiSpyware on Windows, mostly ad cookies. 

If you feel that you're infected, need to create a Topic in regards to it, or if interested in learning more about a certain Linux virus/malware scanner or about installing one. This isn't the Topic for it, rather one for requesting what Tutorials you'd like to see. 

Not sure what you mean... I do still have Sophos installed and am enjoying it, but I haven't been doing any additional testing. There is definitely more stuff one can do than I covered, as there are lots of different options on some of the commands, but at the moment I've no plans to test, or expand upon my initial posting.

hollowface, that's the way I understood your Topic to be also, a Tutorial. 

Cat

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:54 AM

This thread is for members to discuss what tutorials they would like to see and who is doing what tutorial.

It is not a discussion about antivirus or anything else.

#11 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:44 AM

Two questions :

Are video tutorials with additional text also welcome?

And a tutorial about "How to install *any linux distro* in VirtualBox on a Windows host" does that fit under the Windows or Linux topics?

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:06 AM

Are video tutorials with additional text also welcome?

Yes.

"How to install *any linux distro* in VirtualBox on a Windows host" does that fit under the Windows or Linux topics?

Lets put that in the Linux section.

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

I have the optimus technology in my Lenovo Laptop (which is the dual Intel integrated graphics and the discreat Nvidia GPU graphics). I also have the Nvidia GTX 980 in my desktop. I would be willing to do a tutorial on installing the nvidia drivers if you all want me to. It probably wouldn't take all that long, not a hard process to install the latest Nvidia drivers from the website. Of course like with my laptop you can run into an issues. I had an issue with the drivers being installed correctly but the Xorg.conf settings not letting my laptop go to the default 1920x1080 resolution. I can mention that, but other than that one issue I haven't run into anything else, and that one is easily fixed by making a copy of the Xorg.conf file and then putting it back after you install. Anyway.... I can work on this tut soon. I have been on vacation for the past week and get back this weekend so I can start making it then.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:35 PM

DC, that would be great, looking forward for your Tutorial on this, as I have one notebook that has Intel HD & an NVIDIA card, though on one, it doesn't say 'Optimus' on it.  :thumbup2:

I have another that does, unfortunately these particular Samsung notebooks often goes into a partial 'brick' if a Linux install is attempted. One person on a Ubuntu forum went as far as purchasing the same exact model again to see if the same would happen after a clean download & bad luck struck twice (along with two expensive invoices from Samsung to fix these). 'Unbricking' is way beyond my expertise, so it's best that I leave that one alone. 

As I do not have Whingedoz maybe somebody could do a tut on basic dual booting?

I'll cover that Nick, though it will be based on MBR (basic), that's how all of mine except one computer (the Samsung one mentioned above) is setup. 

UEFI & GPT, though has it's advantages in a couple of key areas, may pose issues for some looking to dual boot. Especially those with a Recovery Partition and more than one EFI partition following it. These partitions cannot be tampered with. I don't want to held responsible for the results of misconfiguration of these. 

Cat

#15 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

I would be willing to do a tutorial on installing the nvidia drivers if you all want me to.

Yes please. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users