Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is the motherboard shot on this laptop??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 satch4684

satch4684

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

to make this as short as possible, first off I don't have access to this laptop at the moment, but its an asus gaming laptop, from a couple years ago or so, I remember the model name is very short, like 3 letters and a number or something. Red and black colored.

At the time I didn't know of this, but anyway I am wondering now if starting with one or the other RAM stick removed, or holding down the power button with laptop unplugged, etc. could solve the issue its having. I've heard these can work for when a laptop does these things.  Basically, it seems to be completely dead, but if you plug it in, the computer turns on and sounds like its running normally, fans kinda loud I guess, but the screen is just black. Thats it. However, if you try to reset it like this, I believe it then starts the thing where it powers on and off repeatedly, still same black screen either way. 

What do you think? can you tell from the symptoms if its definitely one of the more serious problems, like the power unit being shot, I hear the cost/labor behind that its basically done for, or still worth giving one of the simple fixes a try?

Edited by satch4684, 12 June 2015 - 10:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

Can we get the model number of the laptop?  Also if you plug in a computer's monitor to the output port (I am sure there is one) on the laptop, do you get a display then?  You may have to press a key combination to get the laptop to switch displays but without the model number of the laptop I wouldn't be able to tell you- (you may just have to plug in the monitor).  Are there any blinking lights on the laptop?  It may just need a new display or it could be a loose connection.  It is kinda hard to know what the laptop has been through already.  Here is a link to some things you can try.

#3 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

Can we get the model number of the laptop?  Also if you plug in a computer's monitor to the output port (I am sure there is one) on the laptop, do you get a display then?  You may have to press a key combination to get the laptop to switch displays but without the model number of the laptop I wouldn't be able to tell you- (you may just have to plug in the monitor).  Are there any blinking lights on the laptop?  It may just need a new display or it could be a loose connection.  It is kinda hard to know what the laptop has been through already.  Here is a link to some things you can try.

I dont have it with me at the moment, I edited the message cause it was unnecessary and longer explaining the whole thing. True I don't have the slightest idea if its been through some sort of abuse or not either. But I believe it is a G74SX, or possibly if there is another model very close to that one....it looks just like that and it is a 500GB

I did forget to mention that plugging it in (tried both my TV and a monitor) to another source did not work, both acted as if I had nothing hooked into it.

EDIT: Sorry for this confusing situation....G73JH sounds immediately familiar, i think that is the one, both models look exactly the same

Edited by satch4684, 12 June 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#4 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

okay i've got it now, and it is a G73JH, the problem is actually even more messed up than I remembered.

It seemingly will not run or anything, dead/shot battery maybe, but upon plugging it in, the asus turns on by itself. The lights come on and it seems to be running, but of course nothing on the screen as I've said. Plugging it into another monitor, and using the correct keys to switch to that one, do nothing. I tried booting it with different RAM sticks removed, no difference. 

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

Pull the battery, disconnect AC power, hold down the power button for 60 seconds.  Put it all back together and see if it starts.

If the external monitor is connected before you plug in the machine it should default to that display and/or duplicate the LCD.

#6 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

Pull the battery, disconnect AC power, hold down the power button for 60 seconds.  Put it all back together and see if it starts.

If the external monitor is connected before you plug in the machine it should default to that display and/or duplicate the LCD.

Okay, to be sure I am going to plug it in to the monitor first next time. I know about the first thing you mentioned, but just for good measure, I'm going to try that again to make sure I've done it right, I'll get back to you after I've done these things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users