Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What graphics card to buy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pg-7beast

pg-7beast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hey :)

I need help with what Graphics card I should buy.

I'm looking for a Graphics card that would work for the majority of games (for example bf3 or anything similiar) and being able to play these games on medium to high

My price budget is up to 250 dollars and I'd also need help with knowing if the card is compatible with my computer.

The computer I'm running is the Acer XC 600, but besides that  I don't really know what other info to give you. I've understood that the reason I'm not able to play games is that my current Graphics card (amd radeon hd 7000) is outdated.

The processor I'm running is intel core i-3350p 3.10 GHz and my ram is at 8 gb

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2015 - 08:27 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

Hello and welcome to BC ! Can you please provide us the wattage of your power supply?  You may need a new power supply to go along with your new video card.  Another thing to look at is the length of the video card and if it will fit inside your current case, if you measure your current card while you have your case open from the plug end side to the other side of the case how much room do you have. Card Height is also a factor so we need to know how much room we have in MM from the motherboard to the side of the case so you can put the case back on.  Is this a small form factor case

#3 pg-7beast

pg-7beast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Wattage of power supply: 220

Height of current card: 7,5 cm but there's room for 9 cm

Length: 16,5 cm.

If case size is a problem I could get a new one, as they also sometimes include a power supply. 

Yes, the link to the computer is correct. 

Thanks in advance

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

An upgrade on this small form factor PC may be more trouble than it is worth. You would definitely need a new case and obviously this would void any warranty you have.  You would want at least a 500watt PSU to give you a bit of head room as far as a new graphics card goes.  You can get a 750TI which is the better bang for the buck video card.  But you would obviously be gutting this computer and putting it in a new case.  Add to the possibility that this motherboard has different power connector than an ATX (you could unplug the power supply from the mainboard and post a photo to be sure.  It just seems like more trouble than it would be to just build a new pc.

#5 pg-7beast

pg-7beast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Well then if I'd choose to build a new computer are there any parts I could re-use? Or do you recommend to start from scratch. I've heard that the processor I'm using is fairly good (intel core i-3350p 3.10 GHz). Would a 1000 dollars be enough or do I need to invest more than that?

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

Okay this would be a complete build with a new processor (4 cores instead of the I3 which is 2 core)  You can probably get a much more inexpensive motherboard too if you'd rather.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yX3tYJ

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yX3tYJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yX3tYJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.98 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5; 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($97.95 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($102.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($88.75 @ OutletPC)

Total: $922.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-12 15:04 EDT-0400

#7 pg-7beast

pg-7beast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

Thank you so much for your help, I will consider this, and with that said this thread is closed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users