Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Players for TV's? Which do you use?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ExplodingMonkey

ExplodingMonkey

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:41 AM

Hello Friends! I need your recommendations.

I need a new media player for my TV. I have tried and quit Roku, I have tried WDHD Media player and quit it.
Which Media players allow media play from external Hard Drives?
Which Which Media player connects to home network via WiFi?
Do any of the media players allow direct streaming from my computer? Like if I am watching a film on my Laptop, can any of them let me stream that movie directly to the media player and my TV?
Which Media player offers full 1080p?
Which Media player has all the popular apps? Like Amazon Prime, Netflix, UFC TV.

Thank you so much for your help.

I have some media player now, i can't even tell you what the brand is, but it sucks, the wifi doesn't work, so i cant download any apps, so I couldn't watch my amazon prime.

Thanks Folks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Patricia Williamson

Patricia Williamson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Now I have benn using this two media players for the TV's like WDMS Media player and EZCAST Media player which both supports the external harddrive and WIFI network connection.

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Does hooking up a cheap laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable count?
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

. . . tried and quit Roku . . . WDHD Media . . . and quit it. . . .

. . . allow . . . external Hard Drives . . .

. . . connects . . . via WiFi . . .
. . . allow direct streaming from . . . my Laptop . . . to the media player and my TV . . .

. . . offers full 1080p . . .

. . . all the popular apps . . . Amazon Prime, Netflix, UFC TV . . .

I have personally used a WD TVLive Hub, with a 1GB internal HDD for the last 4 or 5 years.  Can't remember exactly when I bought it.

It has been an up and down relationship with WD and support, but for the most part, it has met all the needs I want.

I have tried XBMC (now called Kodi, as it no longer has anything to do with XBox,) loaded on an old WinXP machine, dedicated to that task, but went back to the WD TVLive Hub, as it was already doing what I wanted.

My WD does almost all you want, but I am not aware all the apps that are available.  I used it for Netflix, but no longer subscribe to that service.  (Content did not meet the expectations or justify the cost.  Mostly less than B grade films.)

The WD TV was supposed to support some USB Wifi devices, but I never tried.  If you are streaming, then I would recommend a Cat6 connection direct to your router/source.

Also, there is no need to stream, as it connects to my Linux shares with no problem, and plays all the files directly.

I cruise the bargain bins and used videos at the rental stores, and generally find some nice gems for far less than the cost of first release DVD's.  Over the years I have amassed a library of about 500 titles, all ripped to .avi files, and all avaialble to anyone in my home network.

My next investment will be an HDMI capture device, that will allow me to from my set top box, so I can start to collect some of my favourite TV shows, as well.

Cheers!

Naught.

#5 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

That's what I do.  Works great.

#6 ExplodingMonkey

ExplodingMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:04 AM

Hahahaha no way.
Also, thank you Naught McNoone

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

It takes multiple platforms to bring in all the possible media formats, old and new.  An upconverter to 1080P for DVD is the most popular for bringing older 480 content back into ones library.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users