Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot period post welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oldcapri

oldcapri

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:16 AM

I have a friend's Gateway laptop M-6866. The topic started here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577308/gateway-slow-to-start/ . I have used bleeping computer tools to clean it of malware and such before. Recently it has had Firefox issues and "Cannot load XPCOM" has come up twice. I've fixed that by re-installing Firefox each time. The first time none of his browsers would work! My friend had not had it back from me for much time when he brought it back because of a slow boot and there was yet another PUP on it. Side note: the owner has let the machine run until the battery completely died several times.

Anyway, the computer operates fine EXCEPT for the amount of time it takes between the welcome screen and the appearance of the desktop which is up to 90 seconds or so. Could it be something scanning at start-up? How do I investigate this? There was a period when it quit doing this but it is back to it's craziness again.
On the previous topic page we cleaned it of junk and tried to run some hard drive checking programs. Gsmart control made it BSOD.

Here is a link to the CBS log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvf6ehbzo5f63fy/CBS_oldcapri_06012015.txt?dl=0

TIA, Barry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

Hello,

I am not sure what to tell you, but since you have already received help here, I can only tell you my story with system start-up time. I also have Vista OS, I have the same "problems" with long delays between the welcome screen and the desktop appearance. It's black screen for about 1 minute, and when I look at computer case, HDD light is off for that 60 seconds, and after that time, red light starts to blink and desktop shows. Maybe it's not a bug, it's a feature.  :crazy:

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

Vista itself is a bug, I'm convinced! :radioactive:
During the wait I see the HDD activity lamp crazily active. Something is going on. 

#4 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

During the wait I see the HDD activity lamp crazily active. Something is going on. 

I think it is "normal". I am running Vista for 7 years without any reinstalling, without any major problems, so I am not mad if I have to wait a litter longer to start-up. It's working (and I don't ever turn off my PC, so I don't need to wait every day to start-up).  :flowers:

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#5 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

Well, I think this is excessive and so does the laptop's owner. For a short while it seemed to fix itself but has returned to the offensive behavior.

The boot time is not the only thing. During the recent attempt to check the hard drive there was a blue screen error, as noted above and in the original thread.

Also, at one point during all this all networking was somehow disabled. I fixed the ethernet connection with a simple uninstall and reinstall in Device Manager. The wireless did not repair using that procedure. It is still screwed. I have ordered a replacement mini-PCIe card hoping the card is the problem. If not there is a bigger problem.

Attempting to use SeaTools once made it stop responding and making a constant loud tone from the system speaker. The second attempt was successful and reported the hard drive as in good shape.

I really wish he had purchased a laptop from me instead of whatever damn pawn shop he went to. <sigh>

#6 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

Can anyone help? This behavior is not normal for this machine.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

The first thing I would look at is the Security Suite. I would uninstall AVG and also the Visual Studio 2010 x64 Redistributables items in Add/Remove Programs. Reboot and see if that solves the problem. 

After removing AVG then use their uninstaller to clean any leftovers.

I noticed Visual Studio for Office Runtime but Office is not installed on the computer. I would remove those two items also.

There are not many programs on the computer and I don't think it should take 90 seconds to get to the desktop.

#8 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Last time I saw this, It was temporary files being created at log-in. 40000+ of them. There was a toolbar. The owner wanted it back, so got no further. Deleted them and it's been ok. Not much help, but something to bear in mind.

#9 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:38 AM

The first thing I would look at is the Security Suite. I would uninstall AVG and also the Visual Studio 2010 x64 Redistributables items in Add/Remove Programs. Reboot and see if that solves the problem. 

After removing AVG then use their uninstaller to clean any leftovers.

I noticed Visual Studio for Office Runtime but Office is not installed on the computer. I would remove those two items also.

There are not many programs on the computer and I don't think it should take 90 seconds to get to the desktop.

The start menu has Office 2010 listed.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:25 AM

I am wondering why Minitoolbox did not list Office as an installed program. Can you actually start a Office Program like Word?

#11 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

I just opened Power Point. Office 2010 is an activated product.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:47 PM

Interesting. From the logs I have seen Minitools always finds Office. The only thing I can recommend is what I said previously. Uninstall AVG and see if your boot is faster.

#13 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:43 AM

I gave up and got permission to re-install Windows on the machine. All should be well now.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for posting an update. Sometimes is best just to cut your losses and reinstall the OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users