Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Factory Restore of Windows 7 from Another Computer's Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

Okay, long story short, I was attempting to restore my laptop (Toshiba Satellite-C60 running Windows 7-64 bit) and something went wrong. I was unable to exit the Recovery Wizard screen. I didn't backup my computer... I know... Anyways, I have an enclosure I can put the HDD in. Is it possible to create a recovery partition from this hard drive, using another computer? 

I know that the hard drive may be corrupted, and this may be the reason the factory restore did not work the first time, but I still want to try anyways. 

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:11 AM

I don't see any documentation for a C60 model...but I do see a C660 model.

Hard drives don't become corrupted...files and file systems/partitions may  become corrupted.  Hard drives fail, as anything manmade may ultimately fail.

If we can pin down the exact model for your system, we can examine the documentation and see what recovery mechanism was implemented...and how it's supposed to work.

If your system has a recovery partition and it has become damaged...using it for anything may have to be ruled out.

Unless you are copying from an identical system...I find it hard to believe that a recovery partition from System X would ever work in System Z...primarily because the files, drivers, and settings which abide in the recovery partition...vary from system model to system model.

If the hard drive itself is not the problem...one course of action would be contact the system OEM concerning the possibility of obtaining replacement recovery disks for said system.

Louis

#3 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hello,

Sorry, it is a Toshiba Satellite c650.

I entered the factory recovery mode by pressing "0" upon startup. The factory restore mode continued as it usually does (I had done this a few times before for maintenance). Right after the Warning screen I received an error: f3-fff6-0011. No one on the Toshiba forum was able to identify this error.

No, what I want to do is take the HDD from the Toshiba, plug it into my Acer and either factory reset the HDD from my Acer or create a factory restore partition from the Acer, and then put the HDD back into the Toshiba. That way the windows copy that is tied to the Toshiba motherboard will still work... if this is possible.

Unless of course there is a way to exit the factory restore screen (which I am currently unable to exit on the Toshiba). I am unable to boot to Safe Mode as of the most recent boot attempt.

#4 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

Is this not possible?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

I don't think what you are trying to do is possible. Firstly, if you put the HDD into the Acer you will not get to the recovery partition by tapping 0. And you can't create a recovery partition form the Acer that will work on the Toshiba. I think your problem is because there is either a HDD sector error in the recovery partition or a file in the recovery partition is corrupted. I believe you can order recovery disks from Toshiba but I am not sure of the cost.

I think your best option is to find a Windows 7 iso of the same version as yours, likely Home. Can you boot your computer? You need to get the key that was used to activate the computer. You can do that with Produkey or using Advanced Token Manager that will backup all your activation files.

#6 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

No, but from the Acer I can open the HDD from the Toshiba that I had put in the enclosure. I plug the enclosure into the USB port and a file called "HDDRECOVERY" comes up with a few files "Boot" and "Boot manager". 

I will remove the HDD from the enclosure (that I plugged into the Acer via USB port) and put it back in the HDD slot of the Toshiba.

I cannot boot my computer. It will not go past the factory restore screen. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

If you tap F8 at boot, can you access the advanced repair options? 

I do not think you can do a recovery of the Toshiba HDD using the Acer computer. 

You can test your HDD using a bootable iso of Parted Magic. It has a Disk Health program that will let you test the HDD. You can also test it using a Hirens boot disk. If your hard drive fails the test then there would be no point in trying to do a factory reset. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users