Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you put a virtual machine on a 3GB computer?Also wireshark help.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:45 PM

I a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop computer. Would it be possible, to put a virtual machine on there? Most of the time I will have it turned off. I will mostly only turn it on if I get a tech support scam call. I like talking to scammers. I try to keep them on as long as possible. If I can host a VM on the desktop, then I will let the scammer to loggin to the VM. While he is on there, I will use wireshark to get his IP address. Then I will put that in who.is. That will tell me where the scammer is located, and what ISP he uses. The VM doesn't have to be Windows Vista. It could be Xp, or earlier.

If I can have a VM on my desktop, then I will email my cousin, and ask him if he can login to my VM. That will be a test. To see if I can do it right. If I can't have a VM on a 3GB computer, then I will try someting else to keep the scammer on the phone longer. Last time I had the scammer on for 24, to 25 minutes.

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2017 - 06:01 PM.
Moved from AOA to Virtual Machines - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:53 AM

Well, long time ago I was using VirtualBox. It worked fine with 512 MB of RAM. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

In order to run VirtualBox on your machine, you need:

• Reasonably powerful x86 hardware. Any recent Intel or AMD processor should do.
  • Memory. Depending on what guest operating systems you want to run, you will need at least 512 MB of RAM (but probably more, and the more the better). Basically, you will need whatever your host operating system needs to run comfortably, plus the amount that the guest operating system needs. So, if you want to run Windows XP on Windows XP, you probably won't enjoy the experience much with less than 1 GB of RAM. If you want to try out Windows Vista in a guest, it will refuse to install if it is given less than 512 MB RAM, so you'll need that for the guest alone, plus the memory your operating system normally needs.
  • Hard disk space. While VirtualBox itself is very lean (a typical installation will only need about 30 MB of hard disk space), the virtual machines will require fairly huge files on disk to represent their own hard disk storage. So, to install Windows XP, for example, you will need a file that will easily grow to several GB in size.
  • A supported host operating system. Presently, we support Windows (XP and later), many Linux distributions, Mac OS X, Solaris and OpenSolaris.
  • A supported guest operating system. Besides the user manual (see below), up-to-date information is available at "Status: Guest OSes".

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:57 AM

Ok, thanks. It will be July 15th, or July 22 before I get VirtulBox. Right now I just wanted to know if it was possible. I could give the VM 1GB of ram, and that should be enough. Most of the time I will have it turned off. I might get a screen shot of my desktop, and put that in the VM as wall paper. Tell the scammer that some of my icons are locked. Put a note card on the VM desktop labeled bank and credit card info. Have fake credit card numbers, and a fake name on there too. I might bookmark this page, and come back later. I'm busy right now.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:24 AM

In order to let him connect to the VM you'll have to allow him through the host machine's firewall, which could be dangerous if he decides to try and hack you. If you have a usb wifi adapter/usb lan adapter consider connecting it directly to the virtual-machine so it can have its own network access independant of the host-machine. Overkill, but just a thought.

And yes you can run virtual machines on a computer that only has 3GB of ram, I've done it on my old computer that only has 2GB, but it will depend on which guest OS you choose as to how smooth it will run, especially if you start using any applications on it. XP runs much smoother than Vista in vms. If you go with Vista consider disabling some of the appearance effects to improve performance.

#5 TechyToolkit

TechyToolkit

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

In order to let him connect to the VM you'll have to allow him through the host machine's firewall, which could be dangerous if he decides to try and hack you. If you have a usb wifi adapter/usb lan adapter consider connecting it directly to the virtual-machine so it can have its own network access independant of the host-machine. Overkill, but just a thought.

And yes you can run virtual machines on a computer that only has 3GB of ram, I've done it on my old computer that only has 2GB, but it will depend on which guest OS you choose as to how smooth it will run, especially if you start using any applications on it. XP runs much smoother than Vista in vms. If you go with Vista consider disabling some of the appearance effects to improve performance.

Yes! As he says ^ And yes go XP... If you wanna have some fun with tech support calls setup a windows 95 virtual, that´ll fck em up

#6 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

I do have a USB wi-fi adapter. It is SMC. I was thinking about putting Windows ME on there. Tell the guy it's an old computer. It will be two more weeks before I will work on that.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

I know I'm late in this thread, but my recommendation for you would be to create a Windows XP or Windows 7 32-bit VM with 1GB of RAM and make sure it's not on a "Bridge Adapter". It should do the trick. Also, take a snapshot of it once you're done installing and configuring it, and set it to restore the snapshot everytime you close/open the VM. Much faster and it allows it to stay clean and fast for the specs it have. Oh, and you can use VirtualBox for that, works perfect.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

Ok, I know it has been a long time that I have posted. I downloaded the VM today. I got it at virtualbox.com.  I am having a problem with the VM. I tried for Windows 98.  But there is a message up there.

It says.

":Fatal; No bootable medium found! System halted."

Was I suppose to download something else? I want to know what I did wrong.

Should I start another thread, or is this one ok?

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:25 AM

":Fatal; No bootable medium found! System halted."

Either you didn't attach an ISO, or the VM couldn't detect it. You do own a copy of Windows 98, right? VirtualBox doesn't provide an operating system, just the machine.

#10 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:57 AM

I decided to go with Xp.  I have 2 CDs for it. I made another post. Here is the link for it.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603178/cant-get-virtual-machine-to-work/page-2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users