Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No keyboards function in Vista, but do work in BIOS and virtual XP.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HyperactiveSloth

HyperactiveSloth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

I have tried multiple keyboards, both wired and wireless in all USB ports (no PS2 ports) and none of them work at all once Vista (32-bit) has started. Even the Num Lock and Caps Lock keys don't change the indicators on the keyboard itself once Vista starts, including Safe Mode. Keyboards work fine in BIOS, and when I booted with FalconFour's "mini-XP" OS it worked fine as well. Also, there are no problems with the mouse. I can do everything normally using the on-screen keyboard. I've run Glary, ADWcleaner, registry fix with CCleaner. Removed any suspicious programs. Tried uninstalling the HIDs and using "scan for hardware changes" to re-install them. Nothing has had any effect. 

It is a friend's PC and she REALLY wants to avoid a System Recovery but it's looking to me like that will be the only way to get her keyboard to work again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by HyperactiveSloth, 11 June 2015 - 09:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hello there, 

Can you please specify the name and model of your friends PC? 

It's possible the keyboard drivers are corrupted and therefore need to be replaced. You can go directly to your PC's manufacturer and download the appropriate drivers from there. 

In addition you can have Windows automatically download recommended drivers for your PC through "Windows Update". For more details follow this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/install-windows-updates

Hope this helps! 

#3 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Was an antivirus product recently uninstalled?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users