Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAT email

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mpuk

mpuk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

QUESTION 1: What specifically can be done to protect my phone from having a RAT downloaded onto it when i open an email that has a RAT programmed into the email? Just to clarify, I'm not asking what to do AFTER the RAT has gotten on but just how can I prevent it from happening in the future?

I know simple things like... don't click an links, don't open emails from unknown addresses, have a firewall, anti-virus program running, etc. But a spoofed email address email is hard to defend against when it has an advanced RAT in it that gets onto the phone WITHOUT clicking any links in the email. I opened an email at work, there weren't any links in the email, and 3 trojans got through and onto the phone. THX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

well i don't believe that there is any way to avoid an email being sent to you other than ones you trust and also those trojans that 'got onto' your phone. I'm sorry but i don't believe that is possible by opening 1 email without clicking the links and having the phones usb cable not plugged into the computer as there is no way to travel to the phone unless the email was sent to the phone directly

they call me te java mayster

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

RATS by their nature are not a risk on Android. That being said you actually have to install the RAT it won't self install. Because Android is Linux based. Unlike windows which allows auto executing files. So as long as you don't install an unknown file you don't have to worry about RATS with Android.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users