Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser hijack - and much more - maybe using my PC for malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

Sorry to post this twice, but as a reply to an earlier problem about a browser hijack, it might not be noticed. So here it is:

I'm adding this to the above problem. While I'm very grateful for the detailed response, I can't use it without CCleaner, and I'll never trust it again after losing many important downloads.

I still have the problem I wrote about. But now there's more that is very likely connected to it.

Yesterday WiseCare actually made a popup that there were a VAST number of files that I should clean up. Probably done by this browser thief. It's probably transmitting malware through my PC.

Something is making two tones that appear while I'm using my PC. I have nothing to do with it, and there is no regularity to it at all. It sounds a few times every hour, more or less. This is brazenly flaunting that I'm infected.

Happens online or offline. Doesn't matter what I'm doing as long as the PC is running.

The notes are 5-1, or sol-do, which is a combination that is often used to signal a job has been finished.

Once, it played 1-5, for what that's worth.

Just now, it sounded, and my mouse froze. Two seconds later, the sound occurred in reverse, and my mouse returned. Whoever's doing this actually WANTS me to know they're there. I'm having other minor problems with my mouse; might this be caused by the same thing? Sometimes one click opens something, and other times I must click something 2 or more times. Randomly. My screen also flashes often but intermittently, online and off.

What can I do besides formatting C?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:56 PM

I closed your topic in the Am I Infected forum...seemed to be going far astray, rather than helping resolve anything, IMO.  Let's see if we can get a handle on your situation.

Wise anything...is something that you should immediately uninstall, IMO.

If you are using programs like that with the belief that they actually are of some value...then you can expect problems.

BC does not support the use of "registry cleaners/optimizers", see Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494 .

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

Thank you for your response.

I thought Wise Care 365 was a respected utility? I've used it every time I go offline to clean up. It has been reliable. How can it be part of the problem, when all it did was pop up a warning ONCE? The warning was genuine; the problem did exist. Do malware files do stuff like that? All it was asking me to do was to run a scan because there were over 6000 items in the categories they search for removal.

I downloaded the Mini Toolbox, but when I ran it, a popup told me it was not a valid Win32 program, plus Avast popped up a warning of a suspicious item: Win32:Evo-Gen.

Since this is the Windows7 forum, I have to ask if you checked the compatibility of the toolbox. And if that Evo-Gen thing is trustworthy, please let me know, so I can make an exception in Avast. I'd like to know what it does, please.

The mention of partitions reminded me that I do have one. I didn't create it; the former owner of my PC did, and I can't get rid of it. The malware might be hiding there?

I can't proceed with this until these questions are resolved.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users