Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

UEFI prevents boot from CD/DVD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

I have a Lenovo H30-00 90C2000FUS with UEFI and Windows 8.1 preinstalled. I wouldn't wish this system on my worst enemy.

Windows 8.1 is a piece of junk and Lenovo piled on all sorts of crapware so I'm going to have to do some reconfiguring.  The first thing I noticed is that UEFI prevents me from booting from CD or DVD.

These are my current UEFI settings and the results of some of my boot attempts. What do I need to change the UEFI settings to?

CSM is enabled

SATA controller is enabled

Secure boot is disabled

Boot priority is DVD, HD/legacy, UEFI

Linux Mint 17 - boots and runs

Windows 7 install disk - boots and runs

Norton Ghost 15 - sometimes boots and runs

DriveImage XML - sometimes boots and runs

I should be happy with those results but

Acronis True Image 8 (my choice of backup) - "Unable to load Linux kernel. Press <Enter> to reboot ..."

BartPE (Windows XP) - BSOD with error in acpi.sys

Windows XP install disk - BSODwith error in acpi.sys

I don't plan to install XP so that doesn't bother me as much as the principle but I would like to get Acronis to boot.

The computer is shut down for the night but I'll try and reasonable suggestions tomorrow morning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

This article may be of some help regarding the boot issue: https://askleo.com/how_do_i_boot_from_cddvdusb_in_windows_8/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

Ha.  That's where I got the settings I'm using now.

I can even tell you why they are getting the "no operating system" error message.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

Also make sure Quickboot/Fastboot is disabled if enabled. I am really surprised you were not able to boot with CSM enabled.

This is kind of a kludge but see if you can boot a USB flash drive. You would need to create a iso image of the disk using Imgburn then use that iso image with Rufus to create a bootable UEFI capable USB stick.

Windows XP does not have native SATA drivers so I doubt even if it did boot you would not detect your SATA drive unless your XP install disk had the drivers slipstreamed into the install. Same goes for BARTPE.

I think the kernel of TrueImage 8 is too old to see your new hardware but I may be wrong. It would be tough to change your software but take a look at Aoemi Backupper. It can do full disk images along with scheduled backups, differential and incremental. Also can clone and its free.

#5 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

I experimented a little more and these are my final settings.  YMMV.

CSM enabled

SATA controller enabled

Configure SATA as AHCI (I don't know what this means but configuring it as IDE generates a "no operating system" message)

Secure boot disabled

Boot priority: DVD, HD/legacy, UEFI

OS optimized defaults disabled

Disabling quickboot caused all CD/DVD boots to fail so I re-enabled it

What works

Linux Mint 17

Gparted (Knoppix based, not sure what version so just get the most recent)

Norton Ghost 15 Rescue Disk

DriveImageXML (not sure what version so just get the most recent one)

Windows 7 install disk appears to work.  I haven't used it to install the OS

What doesn't work

Acronis True Image, every version I tried

Windows XP and Bart PE based on Windows XP

I guess that's not too bad.  I have several utility disks that I'm not even going to bother to try.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

I checked a Lenovo desktop at work (an H50)

All it took was to turn off Secure Boot and to enable CSM - and then I was able to boot from any legacy disk.

I tested Seagate Seatools and MemTest86+

As such, it's gotta be a problem with the disks if you can boot to those 2 - either a bad disk, or an incompatibility

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users