Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CF will not run on Windows 8.1 because it believes it is Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PRotenberg

PRotenberg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

I am working on a computer that had a range of malware on it. When I try to run ComboFix to clean it ComboFix will not start because Windows appears to be Windows 2000 and ComboFix will not run on Windows 2000.  I have reviewed FAQ's and KB discussions that discuss ComboFix compatibility but I do not believe that is the issue.

I THINK A MALWARE DESIGNER GOT SMART AND FIGURED OUT THAT IF HE MODIFIES WINDOWS TO LOOK LIKE WINDOWS 2000 COMBOFIX WILL THROW UP ITS HANDS AND REPORT BACK THAT IT CAN NOT RUN ON THIS PLATFORM.  THE MALWARE IS SAFE AND AS IT CAN NOT BE, OR WILL NOT BE REMOVED.

I have looked through the registry (in some places) but I have not found where ComboFix looks to find out what O/s it is running on. I expect that if I simply modify the key or file back to proper settings for Windows 8 or 8.1 Combofix will be able to do its job.  Can anyone tell me where Combofix looks to find out the O/S version.

Suggestion to SUBs:  It may be time to get a bit more rigorous about confirming the Windows version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:38 PM

ComboFix is designed not to work on Windows 8.1

#3 PRotenberg

PRotenberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:18 PM

Well, if my hypothesis is wrong and the "won't run on 2000" message is actually programmed in to CF for 8.1, forum admins, please wipe this from the web site because we don't need malware doing what I suggested above,

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:14 PM

Please note that this is from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ... and posted just for general information !

Unfortunately the Windows 2000 operating system is no longer supported.

Many security programs no longer update with Windows 2000 since it is well outdated ..... you can install "Older versions for Win 2000, but not current updates.

Please note that sUBs may be waiting for Windows 10, or may have other reasons for his programs settings. We are not aware at this time.

Regards

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Suggestion to SUBs:  It may be time to get a bit more rigorous about confirming the Windows version.

System requirements for ComboFix are clearly provided in the Authorized How to guide, on the authorized download page, and in the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users