Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed please!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CelticPredalien

CelticPredalien

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hi all,

Bit of a nugget here,

1, attempt to boot, gets to windows splash screen dreaded double click, reboots system.

2, ok, got win boot disk, get to recovery console, wont recognise drive ( figure its because RC is dos enviroment, dos dont recognise sata drive)

3, ok so add second hdd with working installation, boot into that, works, great, so open my computer, sata drive is there, yippee, double click drive, oh nooooo, wont open, bugger,

4, right let me see, what now. install minitool data recovery, reads drive, yes..... pull copy of boot.ini file, open with text editor and find thats the problem.

5, copy new boot.ini from backup system, find minitool cant write to disk. bugger

so here is the problem........

i cant acess hdd through RC because it is sata,

I cant access Sata through working win because it sees but does not access

I can see and copy from sata with minitool, but cant write

I have working copy of Boot.ini ready to use but cant put it in the place i need it to be...

I no longer have a floppy drive so cant boot from that.

i can give more details if necessary guys and gals, i am probably missing something realy simple,

is there a program similar to Minitool that can write as well as read/recover to the drive in question, if so should be simple fix?

is there a way to boot to the drive in question bypassing the affected file (possibly usb or cd) and then manually switching the affetcted Boot.ini?

is there a way of getting RC to recognise the Sata drive, so can use C:\BOOTCFG /Rebuild to fix the file?

here's hoping theres someone who has experienced this and/or knows a way to do it.

Thanks in Advance

CP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

You can access the drive with a linux distro like Puppy Linux. For an XP computer I would recommend v5.2.8 here. Burn the iso file and boot Puppy. You hard drive will show up in the lower left as sda. It will be labeled sda1...sda2 and so on as the numbers represent partitions on the drive. Clicking once on the hard drive icon will mount the drive and open the File Manager. In Puppy you only need to click on an folder once to open it. If you put the boot.ini fine on a USB flash drive you will see a USB icon appear next to the optical drive icon when you attach it. Clicking once on the USB icon will open up another File Manager. In order to copy the boot.ini file you would need to drag it from the USB flash drive window to the Hard drive window. 

Another option would be to use Parted Magic. The file manager on this distro is a little easier to work with as you can copy and paste files which is more difficult to do in Puppy. Parted Magic also has a Disk Health Utility to can use to check your drive.

Final option would be to find a Hirens CD iso and burn that; Boot to miniXp and you a stripped down XP desktop that you can use to move and copy files.

In any event try out Puppy just to see how it works. It is a good distro for booting Windows Computers that do not boot. Includes wireless and Ethernet drivers.

#3 CelticPredalien

CelticPredalien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:09 AM

Thank you john,

Puppy is great, it put the Boot.ini where i needed it, but win still would not boot, so went with Parted Magic, checked disk health, it rebuilt partition, win booted straight up,  have now made full backup, lol, wont forget to do that again,

Thanks again mate, Problem fixed,

CP

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2015 - 09:35 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users