Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I suspect my android phone has been compromised

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CubicR

CubicR

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

How can I check to see if there's anything malicious on my phone?  I use avg for antivirus, but not so sure how good it is.  A few months ago it kept rebooting itself for no reason and ever since I've suspected it's been hacked or compromised.

cubic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Is it still rebooting itself? Did you install anything about the same time as the rebooting issue?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

No it hasn't rebooted in quite some time and no I hadn't installed anything at that time.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

If the activity has stopped and you didn't install anything. I doubt you are compromised and there may have been some sort of bug that got corrected. Or it could have been a sequence of thermal events.

If it's not doing it now, there would be no way of knowing today for certain what it was several months ago.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

Yes you maybe right about that.  The phone was new at the time and I was working outdoors where it was remote, very cold.  You've made a very astute observation!

cubic

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

:thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 cybersa

cybersa

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:31 AM

How can I check to see if there's anything malicious on my phone?  I use avg for antivirus, but not so sure how good it is.  A few months ago it kept rebooting itself for no reason and ever since I've suspected it's been hacked or compromised.

cubic

What version of android are you using?

Is that rooted?

Is that Stock rom?

If it is rooted,there is chance of compermised.

#8 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

Hello,

I'm using android version 4.0.4, samsung model sch-s738c

No, it isn't rooted

Yep, everything is stock

Thanks,

cubic

#9 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

I should say I didn't root it and wouldn't know how to tell.

#10 cybersa

cybersa

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:54 PM

Hello,

I'm using android version 4.0.4, samsung model sch-s738c

No, it isn't rooted

Yep, everything is stock

Thanks,

cubic

Then no problem.

Tips:

Install apps only from Trusted source like Play Store.

#11 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

download an antivirus from the play store first. then after you scan the phone, any virus that causes the rebooting should have been deleted. In addition, it might be a bug that has been corrected in an update of the OS which you have. 

#12 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

I've been running antivirus for quite a while.  Is it possible for a phone to have some kind of a rootkit?

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

Only if you installed it. The nature of Android dictates that the user must actually install any malware. Just like you would install an App. Android is Linux based so it does not allow for self extracting malware like Windows.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#14 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

The rebooting may be the phone being overclocked (happens sometimes with my s4) If you only dwnload from trusted sources like google play and your phone isn't rooted than no, you weren't compromised. No need to worry  :thumbup2:

they call me te java mayster

#15 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

always best you reboot your phone after every download. However, ensure that your antivirus is up to date and scans all downloaded app before you open.. safety measures against viruses :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users