Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 doesn't start after slow down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 muthuskumar

muthuskumar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:27 PM

3 yrs old Lenovo Z580, running on Windows 8.1. I've a Ubuntu partition which I stopped using for the last 3 months. After switching to Windows I noticed that it was too slow once it wakes up from hibernate mode (idle timeout and close of lid). I played around with power setting options and set most of the settings to Never. Not sure if this is the cause but after that my computer was getting slower and slower. Click on something and it takes minutes to register and ages to open. After sometime boot up started getting slow. Finally, it now freezes to black screen after boot up screen. Thought it might open after sometime but after one full day nothing happened.
No idea what went wrong. BIOS screen shows everything is normal. One thing I noticed when I was still able to login was Disk Space used to shoot up to 100% and never come down.
Any help/pointers is much appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

Are you able to access the Startup Repair stuff?

If so, what happens when you try it?

Are you able to boot to the Ubuntu installation?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 muthuskumar

muthuskumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:31 PM

No. Both my system recovery and Ubuntu boot end up in normal windows start up. System goes blank for a very long time and then normal start up begins. I'm able access my BIOS screen and everything looks normal there, as before.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:30 AM

Have you created recovery media?

If not, try this link:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-windows_install/download-a-bootable-windows-81-disc/17207153-902f-4b94-bf95-85ab70ca7064

The point here is to try Startup Repair from the bootable disk and see if it'll fix the BCD store (I presume that this is the problem since nothing will boot).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 muthuskumar

muthuskumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:10 AM

sure. I'll give it a try. One update since I started this thread. After what seemed ages, I was finally able see the login screen. But when I enter my credentials, nothing. Blank screen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users