Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I download Win 10 externally to a HDD so that I can......

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

format my computer HDD which contains a dual boot Win 7 and an unwanted XP OS? (I know that to delete that XP is not an easy task so have left it there)

I assume if I just do the upgrade the Win 10 will just overwrite the Win 7 partition and leave the unwanted XP still taking up space?

So, can I put the Win 10 on an external drive and use that, somehow, to load it onto the formatted computer HDD?

Thanks for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hi zzzz :)

It would be easier if you made a bootable installation media (CD, DVD or USB) with the Windows 10 .iso, boot from it and then use a Custom installation to delete all your current partitions, create just one and then install Windows 10 on it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 TechTorpedo

TechTorpedo

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

Yep, ^^^^ or if you don't trust hard drives like i do, then you can split into 2 partitions one for the OS, and the other for your saved data, makes it easy when it comes to os reinstalls.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for those responses.

I don't know how MS is going to present this 'upgrade' . How will I access this bootable Win 10 .iso? Will they present it in such a format ? Or is it the usual way?

I'm rather a novice in these aspects. I did make one for Linux Mint some time ago  but I could never get it to work. 

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

Are you talking about the Windows 10 upgrade? If you reserved your Windows copy via the "Get Windows 10" app from the KB3035583, the Windows 10 upgrade will be downloaded locally on your system, and on completion, you'll be prompted with a message asking you if you want to upgrade now, or later. This won't be via an ".iso" form, but an in-place upgrade. Windows 10 .iso will be available online and from there you could create a bootable installation media. For now, you don't have to worry until July 29th since Windows 10 isn't officially released yet.

On a side note, if you want to get rid of your Windows XP partition, I can help you with that, it's really easy.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 daizydiarys

daizydiarys

• Banned Spammer
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:10 AM

if you want to boot windows 10 from external drive, so have to migrating windows system partition or data partition to external drive hard , which is slow and painful process, because you have to waste a lot of time installing everything from scratch and tweaking all your applications and settings, but you can try to use AOMEI Partition Assistant allows you to migrate operating system to hard disk without reinstalling everything.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

He doesn't have Windows 10 installed already.

unite_blue.png

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

daisydiarys - interesting but I think I'll leave that alone!

Yes for the Win 10 upgrade there is plenty of time from July 29th.

Aura - expelling my XP partition is off topic here but I'd like to know your 'easy' method. Can you give a link to your method?

I know it is not just a question of deleting or moving that partition - Following instructions to set up the dual boot it had a 5 page addendum on how to get rid of the XP - it was quite tricky so I didn't attempt it.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

5 pages of instructions? It's basically deleting the partition and then expanding the other one using the free space you created by deleting that partition. It's really simple as that :)

unite_blue.png

#10 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:05 PM

Well this is exactly what the instructions said not to do! This was some time ago and I can't remember the reasons now.

Unfortunately I am now abroad  until next week and cannot access that info. (it's all printed out). If I can I'll try to somehow get it to you for your comments - I'd be interested. 

In the meantime I'll see if I can look back in my history to get at it.  Until then....

Thanks for your attention on this matter.

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

I found it pretty quickly. The instructions for 'deleting' XP  are in two parts, even!!, and are from 'Computer Shopper'.

Here are the two links:

http://www.computershopper.com/software/howto/windows-7/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-xp/(page)/7

http://www.computershopper.com/software/howto/windows-7/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-xp/(page)/8

What do you make of it?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

It's long for nothing. Alright, if you go in msconfig, under the Boottab, how many Windows do you see listed?

unite_blue.png

#13 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:35 AM

One, the Win 7

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

And if you go in the Windows Disk Management Utility, how many partitions do you see?

unite_blue.png

#15 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Four

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users