Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Factory Restore Image With Custom Image ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fugazi999

Fugazi999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

On Recovery Partition.

Hi,

Have had a search and can find nothing concerning the question I have - I'm not even sure if this is the correct forum.

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro (5130) running Windows 8.1 Pro, what I would like to do, if possible, is to replace the factory restore on the recovery partition with a custom image so that if or when

the factory rest option is selected it uses my custom image and not the default one.

The problem I am having is that the default image is only 6GB in size where as when I create my custom image it is approx 14GB in size.

Is there a way of editing the default image to add in certain settings and software?

Regards

Fugazi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

Modifying the System Recovery partition is not what you want to do.  You will not be able to modify is, and you may find that you need to use this at some time in the future.  I would suggest that you use a program like Macrium Reflect.  You can find a tutorial for it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Fugazi999

Fugazi999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

Modifying the System Recovery partition is not what you want to do.  You will not be able to modify is, and you may find that you need to use this at some time in the future.  I would suggest that you use a program like Macrium Reflect.  You can find a tutorial for it here.

Hi,

I already use Reflect, I was hoping to be able to do it without having to use a third party application and tie it to the factory reset option. I already have something similar with the Venue 8 Pro using WIMBoot, perhaps that is the way to accomplish it on the 11 as well?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:59 AM

Yes, you can do this.  It requires using DISM, ReagentC (I think) and other programs.
I have to look it up at work today - but IMO it's not worth the trouble.

I'll post back with the info when I find it (as I recall, it involves about 20+ links).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:55 AM

I've got the list, but have to strip out the proprietary stuff before I can post it.

Hope to finish it this morning.

Basically, you have to make another .wim file and then specify that that is the one to use during recovery.

Sounds easy - but IMO it's not!

Edited by usasma, 14 June 2015 - 05:56 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:18 AM

Here you are, it was easier than I thought!

Push-Button Reset Overview

How to Configure Bare-Metal Restore/Recovery Media

How to Add a Script to Push-Button Reset Features

How to Deploy Push-Button Reset Features

ResetConfig XML Reference

REAgentC Command-Line Options (Assign WinRE and Reset/Refresh Image)

Download and Create Windows 8.1 Refresh, Reset, or Installation Media from Microsoft

Recovery Image Management Utility (recimg.exe) - recimg.exe /?

How to create a system image to refresh your Windows 8 PC (Recimg.exe)

Create a Windows 8 image with recimg.exe to preserve your Desktop apps after a refresh

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) Command-Line Options

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) How-to Topics

Create and Manage a Windows Image (DISM.exe)

How to Repair a Windows Image (DISM.exe)

Hard Drives and Partitions Overview

How to Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Drive Partitions

How to Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart

Sample: Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Disk Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart

How to Capture and Apply Windows, System, and Recovery Partition

Samples: Applying Windows, System, and Recovery Partitions by using a Deployment Script

DiskPart Commands

BCDboot Command-Line Options

Remove Duplicate Firmware Objects in BCD and NVRAM (Manage the EFI Boot Manager via BCDEdit)

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) Overview

How to Customize Windows RE

How to Add a Custom Tool to the Windows RE Boot Options Menu

How to Deploy Windows RE

Windows RE Troubleshooting Features

Edited by usasma, 14 June 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#7 Fugazi999

Fugazi999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Here you are, it was easier than I thought!

Push-Button Reset Overview

How to Configure Bare-Metal Restore/Recovery Media

How to Add a Script to Push-Button Reset Features

How to Deploy Push-Button Reset Features

ResetConfig XML Reference

REAgentC Command-Line Options (Assign WinRE and Reset/Refresh Image)

Download and Create Windows 8.1 Refresh, Reset, or Installation Media from Microsoft

Recovery Image Management Utility (recimg.exe) - recimg.exe /?

How to create a system image to refresh your Windows 8 PC (Recimg.exe)

Create a Windows 8 image with recimg.exe to preserve your Desktop apps after a refresh

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) Command-Line Options

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) How-to Topics

Create and Manage a Windows Image (DISM.exe)

How to Repair a Windows Image (DISM.exe)

Hard Drives and Partitions Overview

How to Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Drive Partitions

How to Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart

Sample: Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Disk Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart

How to Capture and Apply Windows, System, and Recovery Partition

Samples: Applying Windows, System, and Recovery Partitions by using a Deployment Script

DiskPart Commands

BCDboot Command-Line Options

Remove Duplicate Firmware Objects in BCD and NVRAM (Manage the EFI Boot Manager via BCDEdit)

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) Overview

How to Customize Windows RE

How to Add a Custom Tool to the Windows RE Boot Options Menu

How to Deploy Windows RE

Windows RE Troubleshooting Features

Excellent and thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users