Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help setting up router!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 slickr

slickr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

Hi there. Okay, I'm advanced user just to get it our of the way, but for the life of me I can't make my router work.

So I have a Linksys SPA 2102 phone adapter with router, this is from my cable network and this is what I've been using.

I want to connect my Konig WLan router so I can have a wi-fi network which others in my home can use.

Problem is I can't make it work at all. I've tried setting my router as the main internet source and connecting the lan to the wan on my linksys, I've tried to connect it to the lan to my linksys, I've tried to connect my Linksys as Wan and connect from the lan port to the Konig wan or lan port and in no way does it work.

So I need help on how to be able to setup this router?

I've done it before with the sort of normal cable modems, that have the basic wire, from that modem I've linked the wan port to the lan on the router and its been simple.

With this setup its so weird.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

If your Koing is set up and can get everyone on. Then just run a wire from a LAN port on it to the Internet port(blue) on the Linksys. Then plug your PC into the Ethernet port(yellow) of the Linksys and do an ipconfig /release and /renew. Then surf into the linksys with the 192.168.0.1 address so you can set up the linksys to work.

It should be set to static IP for the WAN part, something outside the DHCP pool of the Koing.

EDIT: The ip address of the Koing is also 192.168.0.1. So you need to hook your PC directly to the Linksys and change the IP address to something other than 192.168.0.1.  Then hook it up like I described. I think that is where the issue lies. Also remember that whatever you change the IP of the Linksys to is now how you access it. my suggestion would be .2 =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 slickr

slickr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

Okay so my linksys ip stuff is:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.240.25.230
 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.240.25.1

My router ip stuff is:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Do I use the same IP with a different gateway for both or do I use different ip's and gateways for both modem and router?

Also for some reason I actually can't acess my Linksys configuration page, no matter what IP i use. I think it might be blocked from my isp or something.

Edited by slickr, 11 June 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

How did the Linksys get that IP address?

To get into the Koing setup, what IP address do you enter?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 slickr

slickr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

How did the Linksys get that IP address?

To get into the Koing setup, what IP address do you enter?

I use the 192.168.0.2, before that 192.168.0.1.

Thing is it doesn't really  matter, as I can't seem to set up a connection that works.

As far as how my Linksys got that IP I have no clue. I think my ISP are idiots and have changed it from the default for that modem, I actually can't even access the Linksys configuration with any IP. I'm using the current one, used the default ones that are on the linksys website manual but can't get into the configuration options.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:04 PM

OK, I doubt have a 10 address trying to connect to a 192 network is going to work. So reset the Linksys back to factory defaults. Should be a reset button it somewhere, look near the power plug or on the bottom.

Linksys defaults to a 192.168.0.1 address, you you'll need to connect a PC directly to it or it will try opening up that address on your Koing. Then follow my instructions on giving the Linksys a 192.168.0.X address. where X is not being handed out by the Koing.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

Here' s page that will help you do what you're looking to do - Using an old router as a DIY wireless Access Point

#8 slickr

slickr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

Okay, so here it goes where I'm at:

My configuration is the one above. My Linksys "modem" doesn't have a reset button, but I did reset it throug phone. The default settings are as above. When I get the WAN IP for my Linksys from the phone it gives me the 10.255.49.254 as the WAN IP of the modem.

Anyways I've found it that I can't access the configuration page because its disabled by default, but I can't enable it yet because my ISP has put a password on it since they've connected it to themself.

But right now these are my settings:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.240.25.230
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.240.25.1

Now do I set up these at my router through a static IP? What about the WAN IP it gave me throuyg the phone? Like I don't even understand which is the "true" IP.

I think this is the most complicated I've ever dealt with with setting up a router. I know it used to be simple, I was able to set it up in like 2 minutes.

Edited by slickr, 11 June 2015 - 05:35 PM.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

You need to call them then. Ask them how to get it to work, they have it locked.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

Connect a PC to the Linksys, give it a static IP address of 10.240.25.45, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 no need for default gateway. Only then would you be on the same subnet as 10.240.25.230 <--the IP address you'd want to enter. But if they put a password on that page that you don't know you need to get them to unlock it.

#11 slickr

slickr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, you were right. Had to call ISP to make it work. They locked out the modem configuration and everything and the way they set it up was with me giving them my router WAN MAC adress and them registering it. Then setup the router through DHCP.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

So it's all good? Calls no surfing?

#13 slickr

slickr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

Yup all good

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

Great. Glad to have helped in some sort of way =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users