Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A friend with a few Mac Issues....Can anyone shed some light?......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

I'm a fairly new member here and I must say, the support and basic knowledge I have gleaned here from folk has been amazing! I am a Windows user myself, and a relative beginner to computing.

Although I feel a bit cheeky asking, I was hoping to try to be able to assist a friend with a Mac book who is having issues with his device on another website who's community forum software is identical to this Site as it is provided by InvisionPower - so I am guessing that this Site's software works pretty much the same as their's does.

I'll try to keep as brief as possible by making a simple list of his issues. He is not a member here at present.

1. Whenever he tries to make a regular post on any forum, the system will only allow him to the option of using the Courier New font.   As well as this, the Site's toolbox is 'greyed out' at all times and it's features are not accessible to this person in any way. We have established that this is an issue isolated only to this person and is not a problem that anyone else seems to be experiencing whilst using the Site. At the moment, we think the issue lies within the computer itself, which is a Mac laptop, the age of which I have yet to establish.

2. This person has also noted that there is a slight time-lag between typing before the letters show up on the screen. I have suggested that there might be malware on the machine, but from what I gather, this is less likely to happen to Macs as their operating system is far more secure. Whether I am right or not about this, I really don't know!

3. They make mention of regularly seeing a 'twirling beach-ball' (which I am not familiar with) that they say signifies that something might be wrong somewhere. Also that they see "Unable to connect to PayPal" and "Unverified Certificates" notices when trying to make payments sometimes. I have advised them not to do any banking or make payments online until these pc issues are resolved.

I'm sorry that I cannot provide any further details right now about these issues and the website in question. I am merely asking for this person as a third-party. My main concern is establishing whether or not the computer has a virus, spyware or anything else malicious inserted on it, and what to do about it if it has.

Any input as to why these issues on my friends Mac book might be occurring would be most appreciated.

Edited by robby501, 11 June 2015 - 08:42 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hello robby501:

It is always best to eliminate the middleman. Please have the owner/user establish a Bleeping Computer membership and open a topic with a reference to this topic to save effort.

Then, in the new topic, please have the member/owner/user provide the usual details any helper would need to provide assistance:

How to identify MacBook Pro models

Find the OS X version and build information on your Mac

Although the default installed browser is Safari, is another browser in use that has the stated issues? Firefox? Chrome? Opera?

Has the system been fully backed up?

Are all updates installed?

Has an reputable/effective anti-virus program been installed/run?

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 11 June 2015 - 08:47 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

OK 1PW, thanks for responding so soon.

I will respond to my friend on the Site concerned and suggest that they sign up here with a view to getting the problem resolved themselves. I agree, the 'middle-man' scenario is certainly not ideal given the nature of the importance of tackling these kind of issues in a correct and efficient manner.

They have tried other browsers, but to no avail.

Your subsequent questions I have yet to ascertain, but I will do so as soon as I can.

Thanks for giving up some of your time to look over my post, albeit that I made it on behalf of someone else.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:17 PM

1. Please download EtreCheck to your desktop
  2. unpack and start the app
  3. After done click the button copy results to clipboard and paste it here.

Edited by dante12, 11 June 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#5 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:43 PM

1. Please download EtreCheck to your desktop
  2. unpack and start the app
  3. After done click the button copy results to clipboard and paste it here.

Thanks for your reply, dante12. 

I am actually a third-party in all this trying to glean some information on behalf of an acquaintance of mine from another forum. I'm trying to encourage them to join here, but they are rather shy and nervous and could be overwhelmed by this particular forum, no offence to yourself or any members here!

I know it's not an ideal situation, but I appreciate you making the effort to provide this link and that you have gone out of your way to address this issue!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

As I said yesterday, in another topic, BC was set up and is run to provide assistance, help and advice to users of all levels of knowledge, from the most basic - 'I know how to turn it on' - up to expert.

You can assure your your friend of a welcome here at BC and that anyone trying to take advantage of ignorance or inexperience is liable to find myself and the other moderators coming down on them like a ton of bricks.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users