Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Issues: Horizontally Stretched Screen and Missing Monitor Resolution

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:10 AM

I just built a new computer on a tight budget and I am running into some trouble.

System Specs:
Monitor: LG Flatron Wide 196wtq
Monitor Conection Type: DVI-D
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Problem 1: I Can't Figure Out Where the GPU is Integrated and What it is Named
With such a low budget I didn't purchase a graphics card, I assumed the CPU with an integrated GPU, which would have been good enough for me, but some online research revealed that FX series of AMD CPUs may not come with integrated GPUs. I'm assuming my motherboard has the integrated GPU, but I'm not certain.

In an effort to learn more about the GPU, I used a 3rd party utility that tells me the video Adapter is ATI/AMS Radeon 3000 and the video card is ATI/AMD Radeon 3000 (RS780L). The adapter listed under Advanced setting in the Screen Resolution settings window states, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, Chip Type: ATI ATOMBIOS

I don't know the most about computers, so I might not be  understanding what I'm reading, or the third party software is incorrect.
I want to know where my GPU is integrated and if it has a name (like media accelerator or built-in GPU).

Problem 2: The Monitor Displays  everything Stretched Horizontally
Everything displayed on the monitor is stretched out horizontally. The monitor I am using has to be at least 8 or so years old. So I figured that could be the issue. I borrowed a friend's, nearly brand new monitor, set it up and tested it. The same horizontal stretching happened on the new monitor. (I tested both monitors on all possible resolutions and I tested the new monitor with both DVI-D and VGA cables.)

Do I need to purchase a graphics card or is this a motherboard driver issue or something else?
(I'm having trouble finding the drivers for my motherboard online to update it.)

Problem 3: Maximum Resolution for the Screen is Missing
The old monitor had three screen resolutions. The new one, I used for testing, had two resolutions. When I set the old monitor back up only two resolutions showed up and even listing all modes did not show the higher resolution that I was running at before. I can't figure out what's happened.

Edited by Lxno78, 11 June 2015 - 12:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130405102523AAElkyx

Onboard graphics are on the motherboard, see specs.  It's the motherboard which provides the onboard function, not the CPU.  Well, that's almost true :), there are the APUs which AMD produces,

As for the "horizontal stretching"....that's a setting which can be adjusted by user.  Basically...you have 2 choices...one which is designed to accommodate wide-screen monitors, one which will accommodate older monitors.  16x9 versus 4x3.

If you right-click on the desktop and go to your display settings...you will see the various resolutions possible by your graphics chip.  The lowest will be 800x600, which is a 4:3 ratio, while the highest will reflect a 16:9 ration...and there will be other settings.  In short, you adjust the chosen setting for display...based on your monitor capabilities and personal desires.

Did you install the graphics drivers for that motherboard?  You should have more than 3 options for resolution.

Louis

#3 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

I did some work while waiting for a response. I ran Windows Hardware and Device troubleshooter, that restored the higher resolution option that went missing from the monitor switch, but did not fix the horizontally stretching. 

I downloaded msi Live Update 6 (msi is the company that made my motherboard) and ran an automatic scan for hardware updates. There was no GPU drive update listed. So, next I tried AMD's website for driver updates. I downloaded there automatic update scanner, the result said there was nothing to update. 

The closest I can find for a driver update is this it lists Radeon HD 2000-4000 Desktop, but it looks like my card is just Radeon 3000 (without the HD) unless that's the same thing? I'm still not quite certain what the name of my GPU is. I haven't installed the update because I'm not sure if that's the one I'm supposed to install.

Again, thank you!

Edited by Lxno78, 13 June 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

I didn't mention anything about driver "updates"...I asked if you had installed the graphics drivers that came with the motherboard on CD/DVD.  Every new motherboard provides a CD for installing drivers applicable for basic functions (audio, video, chipset, etc.).  If those drivers are not installed...users may experience problems such as you have detailed.

Louis

#5 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:15 PM

Sorry about that, I installed AMD Chipset Drivers, full details below.

After reading your reply, I put in the CD that came with the motherboard. I found a chart, on the CD itself, that lists all the drivers included on the CD (here is a link to an image of the chart) it looked like AMD Chipset Drivers (OS: WIN8, WIN8_64) were the drivers I needed to install so I installed them successfully and restarted the computer. Unfortunately, the screen is still stretched horizontally (on all three resolutions) (1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x1024).

Obviously my knowledge is limited, maybe I chose the wrong driver (from the ones listed on the chart)?

Edited by Lxno78, 14 June 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hmmm...IME, motherboard driver disks...install automatically, no need to search for the correct one.

Since you have a Win 8 install, it appears that you installed the correct drivers...I cannot explain why you have so few resolution options.

The chipset drivers need installation...but my experience with AMD onboard graphics...is that there should be a separate driver for the graphics function on that CD/DVD.

Go to Explorer view and see if there is a file named "setup.exe" on that disk and run it.  Please make sure that you have made all file extensions and system files visible before doing this.

Louis

#7 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:50 AM

There are several files labelled, solely, setup.exe on the CD. The chart I linked to above, does show the full file path location on the CD and the corresponding driver, but I'm not seeing a driver just for the graphics function.

(A side note, the chart I found was on the CD itself.)

(For clarity, the driver I installed, from my previous post, was ChipSet\RICHLAND_W7_W8\setup.exe)

Here is a link to an image of all the files on the CD labelled setup.exe

Edited by Lxno78, 14 June 2015 - 01:56 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

I don't see a driver for Win 8 for that card, the last one posted dates back to 2013 and specifies only up to Win 7 support.

I believe that you are correct, the graphics driver is rolled into the chipset driver package, from what I see.

Louis

#9 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for helping me with this. This was rather puzzling. Now that I have some confirmation, I think I'm just going to save up and buy a dedicated graphics card. I suppose there may be a fix, but it's looking like the amount of trouble for that would not be worth it. Plus a dedicated graphics card will perform better than the integrated GPU.

Again, thank you.  :)

Edited by Lxno78, 14 June 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Thank you for being courteous and gracious...that's not always the case here :).

A dedicated graphics card won't cost an arm and a leg and it will give you the flexibility that currently is missing.  Amazon has a number of PCIe or PCI cards that can obtain cheaply and will do the job.  Unless you game, don't spend any more than you have to on graphics cards :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users