Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft to Linux users: Explain yourself

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:00 AM

Microsoft wants to get better at monitoring Linux.

Don't pinch yourself – this isn't some weird dream. Redmond on Tuesday took the covers off a new Linux VM monitoring tool.

“A significant number of Virtual Machines on Azure today are running Linux workloads,” writes Khailid Mouss, a senior program manager for the Azure Compute Runtime. To help those folks Redmond has therefore created “new monitoring capabilities we have just released (currently in Preview) for Linux virtual machines running on Azure.”

Microsoft's also shouted out to Linux users, saying “we want to know more in-depth how your organization monitors Linux servers and challenges you face monitoring these Linux servers.”

We are NOT trying to sell you anything, we just want you understand your pains in this area,” writes Microsoftie Satya Vel (who does his own emphases).

“If you are or could introduce us to your Linux monitoring administrators (folks responsible for tools like Nagios, Zabbix, Zenoss etc…) we would really appreciate it as this an area we want to understand.”

Back to that new monitoring tool in Azure, depicted below. Microsoft says it can measure 43 metrics* and spit 'em all out into a pretty, GUI-fied Azure console.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/10/microsoft_to_linux_users_explain_yourself/

We are NOT trying to sell you anything

Of course they are trying to sell something to us, They are always trying to sell some second rate software or operating system, And if they are not trying to sell you anything it's because they are spying on you and on selling the data collected 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:05 AM

Maybe they are realizing that Linux is a force to be dealt with. Since more and more people are learning about Linux and how easy it is to use their OS's,I'm sure they are trying to keep an "eye" on the competition!

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:27 AM

Maybe they are realizing that Linux is a force to be dealt with. Since more and more people are learning about Linux and how easy it is to use their OS's,I'm sure they are trying to keep an "eye" on the competition!

+1! :thumbup2:

Microsoft knows that Linux is a force to reckon with, with 30% of it's Azure customers running the OS & the number is growing. 

They also are aware of the paranoia going on over Windows 10, the mad rush to purchase Windows 7 computers that's not crippled with Secure Boot. Obviously, many consumers doesn't want to give up Windows 7, which often leads to dual booting or later flat out Linux installs. 

And the words coming out of Microsoft's mouths:

We are NOT trying to sell you anything

Is a pure out lie. No, they're not selling the OS, rather some of the optional services that some will want, sometimes at a markup. For example, Netflix & other movie hosting sites, while these can be purchased from one's Microsoft Account, can also be purchased direct from the vendor itself. What Microsoft wants & they've tried pulling this stunt on me at least two times that I recall, is having a payment method stored on their servers. No way will they get my debit card or bank account information, anything that I need, will purchase myself elsewhere. 

There are many ways that Microsoft can get cash out of it's customers, such as extra OneDrive storage, Store Apps, upgrade to a Premium email service, Office 365 subscriptions, Skype & more. 

With Google offering the same amount of Free storage (15GiB), one can create as many Free email accounts as needed to fill the need. One can so the same with Microsoft (I have two accounts). 

What I don't need are 'upsells' of premium services that I mentioned above, as most are available at a lower cost & yet still run on Windows & Linux OS's, though a plug-in may be required to run some of the movie apps on Linux. No big deal, there's a Silverlight replacement in Moonlight & the other things needed are available via the Terminal (I already have the Fonts package). 

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/785766-how-to-install-the-netflix-streaming-client-on-linux

So I don't need Windows period to have the Netflix that Microsoft would prefer to sell as a service to me. There's also other premium movie & TV content available on Linux, such a Hulu & Hulu Plus. Go to the bottom (On your Computer), it'll be seen that it's available for Linux, though Google Chrome has to be installed to keep the latest Flash Player & other needed plugins. The one with Firefox is too dated, fortunately Google Chrome solves this. 

http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices

As far as any Linux monitoring tools goes, while I do have two installs of 8.1 Pro installed on computers that's Hyper-V capable, at the same time, have no intentions of using that option for anything. Way too many steps are required to setup & run Hyper-V VM's, something I learned late in 2012. So therefore, Microsoft won't have a way to monitor my Linux usage & being that I'm not using their software to run the OS, has no right to. I boot straight into Linux Mint, and don't mess with the Microsoft Way of running virtual machines when I do create & run these. 

I pity the consumers whom purchases Windows 10 computers, some won't have the option of disabling Secure Boot & if one thinks Windows RT, 8 & Vista was bad, wait until 10 is shipped. More & more privacy will be lost, including as Nick has mentioned, the ability to stay anonymous while running Linux VM's, be it Hyper-V, VirtualBox or VMware Player/Workstation. The only way to save some of that privacy will be to create a Local account, being sure not to be connected to the Internet at the time of account creation. 

They are always trying to sell some second rate software or operating system, And if they are not trying to sell you anything it's because they are spying on you and on selling the data collected 

+1! :thumbup2:

Microsoft is making money hand over fist off of those who are Preview testers, which at first had lots more spyware (of which I posted snapshots of months ago) than the current version, or the security vendors has been 'advised' to look the other way, being these are 'system files'. Windows 7 was the last best OS that Microsoft has ever written & as soon as I can figure out how to, will install it on this Samsung 7 Chronos that I have. For whatever reason, Linux install attempts will cause a partial bricking of these notebooks, and I don't have the skills needed to repair this soft of thing, so am stuck with Windows on this one. 

Otherwise it's a great notebook, 3rd gen i7 & I believe the last true quad core mobile i7 released. 

At any rate, Windows is a second rate OS, and I say this from my own perspective, and not echoing what others says. Having a Windows OS means more responsibility, work to keep the disk clean & defragmented, running virus & anti-malware scans, making sure that all installed software is kept up to date. Clean or re-installs will take the large part of a weekend to complete. If this OS is so great, why can't it keep everything up to date? 

With Linux, the Update Manager handles all of that, including optional browsers, such as Google Chrome, if installed. Only takes 2-3 hours to setup & configure after performing a few installs. That's a sign of a first rate OS. 

we just want you understand your pains in this area,” writes Microsoftie Satya Vel 

Spoken like that of a career used car salesperson. They understand nor feel anything other than usershare & money, and keeping the shareholders happy. 

Years ago, I used to feel that Google was the enemy & was as anti-Google as anyone. Not anymore. The true enemy to our privacy was the very first to sign the PRISM act, the Microsoft Corporation. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:51 AM

What I don't need are 'upsells' of premium services that I mentioned above, as most are available at a lower cost & yet still run on Windows & Linux OS's, though a plug-in may be required to run some of the movie apps on Linux. No big deal, there's a Silverlight replacement in Moonlight & the other things needed are available via the Terminal (I already have the Fonts package).

How To Watch Netflix In Ubuntu 14.04 With Netflix Desktop App ..

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:42 AM

I pity the consumers whom purchases Windows 10 computers, some won't have the option of disabling Secure Boot

Does this mean it will be impossible to install Linux on these computers?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:48 AM

IMO there will always be a way around it, Where there is a will Linux will find a way.

#7 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/10/microsoft_to_linux_users_explain_yourself/

Microsoft wants to get better at monitoring Linux . . . a new Linux VM monitoring tool . . .“we want to know more in-depth how your organization monitors Linux servers and challenges you face monitoring these Linux servers.” . . . “If you are or could introduce us to your Linux monitoring administrators (folks responsible for tools like Nagios, Zabbix, Zenoss etc…) we would really appreciate it as this an area we want to understand.” . . .

No corporation does ANYTHING without a profit motive.

Ask yourself this:  How much has Google charged me for using it's services?

And I will ask you this:  How can a global corporation that you have never given a penny to, be worth $1 Trillion on the world market?

From day one, Bill Gates has been against anything to do with Shareware or Open Source.  Microsoft has not and never will "Change it's spots!"

The only reason that MS is now publicly stating that it monitors Linux, is because some one at MS read Sun Tzu's "The Art of War."

You can guarantee that MS has been looking at Linux for many years now.

I suspect that the expected jump is sales of Windows 8.1 did not materialize when XP was cut off.  New PC sales have been declining in the wake of the Tablet and Smart Phone.

MS's bread and butter is still the huge check they collect from companies like Lenovo, HPCompact, Acer, etc.  

They are looking for a way to get it back!  The first step is to "Know thy enemy!"

I would not give Bill the time of day, if I thought it might profit Microsoft.

Tuppance,

Naught.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

IMO there will always be a way around it, Where there is a will Linux will find a way.

Quite honestly the next laptop I buy (I say laptop because I will never ever purchase a pre-built desktop again my life!) will probably be one from system76 or some other Linux laptop company. They are good machines and come with Linux only on them, if you want Windows you gotta buy it separately. With Steam picking up... well... steam... on Linux its only a matter of time when the big name triple A titles start getting put on Linux.

I don't think I can do windows 10... I might just have to do all Linux gaming, then the titles I can't get on Linux just get for my PS4 (or Xbox one if I ever get that).

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:34 AM

No, especially if the Windows 10 OS is of the Pro version. Simply create a Hyper-V VM, if one can understand & follow the elaborate instructions for networking setup & all, create a disk for it, and then when one boots to VHD, all resources of the computer are accessible by the VM, from which gamers benefits. VirtualBox & VMware Player's VM doesn't operate in this method, so one doesn't have the computer's full resources. It would take one with a boatload of RAM & a good quad core CPU to reap any gaming benefits from either of these choices, yet still this will be throttled by some extent of the host OS. 

However, this plays right into the deal that the OP (Nick) is speaking of, the monitoring of Linux users by Microsoft & it reeks of fresh pig manure. 

Quite honestly the next laptop I buy (I say laptop because I will never ever purchase a pre-built desktop again my life!) will probably be one from system76 or some other Linux laptop company. 

For some, this may be a viable option, and pricing has improved since my lat visit, so have edited my post before publishing. Still. requiring one to purchase a SSD just to get the 2nd HDD that was included in the base system for an extra $69 is an exact copycat of what the big OEM's does (keep yours & buy the SSD elsewhere) & I expected better than this from an independent builder. Also, no discrete graphics card & even with a nice 4th gen i7 (not the latest), for $1,049 I expected more. Dell also sells notebooks with Ubuntu pre-installed, though like the rest, one gets what's paid for, and at least there's the option for a discrete graphics card (an essential for gamers). While Intel HD Graphics has came a long way from the GMA days, it doesn't come close to a good ol' GDDR5 GPU with 1 to 4GB of VRAM (with 1 & 2GB being the most common choices). 

System76 has improved somewhat in overall pricing, and their top of the line notebook has a very nice GTX 970M (6GB GDDR5) for $1,649. There is even the option to purchase a 2nd GPU of the same, or an upgrade to an 8GB GDDR5 GTX 980M for $1,948 (x2 if desired), though on the site it says that dual cards doesn't improve gaming. Plus it comes with a 330W PSU to power everything. This is the only notebook on the System76 site with discrete graphics, and wow, it turns heads. For more about the Bonovo WS notebook, read on. 

https://system76.com/laptops/bonobo

The only caveats are that one has to purchase an extra set of RAM (preferably elsewhere) to be running in dual channel mode, it ships with just one 8GB stick, if one wants performance, get a fast SSD on promo, not from this site. It's really easy to install both for less than half the price. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users