Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 not recognizing RAM after mass cleaning.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cepse

Cepse

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Was recently here getting help removing eons of bad stuff, got it all clean, but now it's only showing 4GB instead of 6GM RAM.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VjOwLrjhgzFXnFo4CpSLkYe

The attached file shows how different areas show different amounts of RAM, but in the end my PC is slower now regardless of the areas showing the correct 6GB.

So I'd like to ask for help fixing this issue. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Hi Cepse :)

In the System properties window, can you click on Your Windows Experience Index needs to be refreshed, then click on the Refresh button that will appear and let it run the test?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Cepse

Cepse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hey there Aura, did that and it's still showing 5.9 based on the lowest score which happens to be RAM, a full point behind everything else.

Edited by Cepse, 11 June 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

And it still only shows 4GB of RAM and not 6GB, right? From what year is that Alienware M17x?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Cepse

Cepse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

Yup, still showing 4GB. And I can't be exactly sure, I got it back going threw college so my guess would have to be 3-4 years ago.

One other thing to note would be before and during the cleaning (I'm talking about virus removal and stuff, not internal cleaning) it was still showing 6GB and that was only 3 days ago.

And I've already reseated both sticks.

Edited by Cepse, 11 June 2015 - 10:35 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Do you have a Dell Update program on your laptop? If so, did you update your BIOS to the latest version yet?

unite_blue.png

#7 Cepse

Cepse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

It doesn't have an update program but in the past I have flashed and updated the BIOS. The last BIOS update was a while ago and like I mentioned in my edit this started yesterday and 3 days previously it was showing the correct 6GB.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:47 AM

What did you do exactly in the last days before this situation occured?

unite_blue.png

#9 Cepse

Cepse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

I was on the malware, virus and trojan removal thread getting help - so I was running scans, removing the bad stuff, besides that I played starbound a bit. lol

Heres the link to the thread, it says everything that was done.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578862/browser-redirection-multiple-iexplorerexe-instances-eating-cpu-no-more-space/

Edited by Cepse, 11 June 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

I'll go through your malware removal thread and see what was done.

unite_blue.png

#11 Cepse

Cepse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:19 AM

Alrighty, sounds good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users