Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why is my ip 10.#.#.# on VIRTUAL MACHINE?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:59 PM

good evening everyone
my ip address on my LAN physical PC is 192.168.0.whatever and when i log into my virtual machine that is running win server 2008 my ip address and gateway are both 10.#.#.#
Why is this?
say for example i wanted to download torrents from my VM, would I be able to be tracked? Or am i like using a proxy of some sort?
Thanks

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 01:27 PM.
Moved from Networking

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:41 PM

You are using the Host adapter for the software. You'd need to change it to Bridged if you want it on your network. If you don't the host will allow it online, just can't share anything on your network. Well you could if you set up a route but it's easier to just switch it to bridged and give it a static IP from your home network.

I believe it would be because in the end it is still using your WAN IP.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 10 June 2015 - 11:20 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users