Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

There are 2 cases I'm looking at, both with 500/550 Power supplies, but one is a MicroATX and the other one is just ATX.
I was just wondering if the smaller size of the MicroATX would really affect the cooling, and if it would provide a major problem. I'm going to put in a 3800+ AMD, 256mb EVGA video card at 1500memory clock.
The Case has 3 clear panels that can be taken off, and I was wonder if taken them off would make for better cooling :thumbsup: This is the case.
Thank you guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:20 PM

I would imagine with a smaller case you run into cooling problems due to the small size. Also, the case may be difficult to work in. I have this case: Lian Li Case
But mine was extensively modified by my computer manufacturer, Velocity Micro, to include a window and an LED in the front with intake fans.

3939.png

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

What is the second full ATX case (link) ? (I'm assuming it is a SFC type)

#4 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

I would imagine with a smaller case you run into cooling problems due to the small size. Also, the case may be difficult to work in. I have this case: Lian Li Case
But mine was extensively modified by my computer manufacturer, Velocity Micro, to include a window and an LED in the front with intake fans.

Thank you

and that's awesome, Velocity Micro was founded in Richmond, VA. Where I live.

#5 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

What is the second full ATX case (link) ? (I'm assuming it is a SFC type)

This is the other case I am looking at.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:57 AM

Now that I've seen them both there is no question about it. The midtower case will have far, far better cooling capability than the small footprint case. The tower looks to be designed for two 120mm fans which would be whisper quiet and move a ton of air at the same time. The case is laid out well and actually has a smaller footprint.

The only downside is that you will find it nearly impossible to find drives that are white to match the case color. I strongly suggest you go with the black version for drive faceplate color compatibilty.

Another small suggestion: get two 120mm fans for the front and back case panels. Move the existing 80mm fan that comes on the back panel to the CPU ventilation tunnel on the side. If you are up to some minor case modding then cut the fron and back sheet metal grillwork out and attach 120mm fan grills to the fans and mounting holes. Actually, the front panel 120mm fan cutout doesn't need a new fan grill because the case's plastic front panel protects your fingers at all times. For less than $20 you will have the coolest case possible.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:05 PM

The midtower case is much better. In terms of thermal dissipation, aluminum is better than steel but the decrease in temps is marginal. Velocity is very good, granted my computer came with some probs but they're not the company's fault and they go out of their way to fix them. Have fun building your new computer!

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users