Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying OSX formatted external drive to Windows/Linux accessible drive.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

I have one external drive formatted to be read by OSX only of which is a pain as two years without a Mac I lost access to all my artwork, to save that happening again if the Mac goes down I have another external drive of which I think is formatted in Fat 32 where I would like to copy all that is on the OSX formatted drive to the other drive so it can be read and written to by other operating systems likely Linux, but Windows possibly.... just in case.

Can this be done  and can it be done by a 2008 Macbook ?

My artwork files never get to even 1gb in size.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:29 PM

I have one external drive formatted to be read by OSX only of which is a pain as two years without a Mac I lost access to all my artwork, to save that happening again if the Mac goes down I have another external drive of which I think is formatted in Fat 32 where I would like to copy all that is on the OSX formatted drive to the other drive so it can be read and written to by other operating systems likely Linux, but Windows possibly.... just in case.

Can this be done  and can it be done by a 2008 Macbook ?

My artwork files never get to even 1gb in size.

Yes, if you have both the Mac OX formatted drive and the FAT32 drive hooked up to the computer, then you can copy from one to the other.

And a 2008 MacBook should be able to do it.

The only issue you would potentially have is if you have any files over 4 GB as FAT32 drives cannot handle files over that size. From your post, it sounds like your largest file is 1 GB, so you should be good.

FWIW, another option is a Windows program called MacDrive that will allow a Windows computer to read a Mac OS formatted disk. It had been a long time since I used it, so I don't know how well it still works.

#3 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:09 AM

Usually the most Linux Live Systems are able to read HFS+ formated drives.

For Windows there is the tool hfsexplorer that you can read HFS+ drives in windows. You need the Java runtime Environment.

https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/6ae436d6d5a50692d561bce9df3ba9218cfd4140ae795cfd49647ed6697f03e9/analysis/1434006158/

http://superuser.com/questions/84446/how-to-mount-a-hfs-partition-in-ubuntu-as-read-write 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users