Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window failed to start.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:49 PM

I performed a bootable clone of my main drive on a 1 TB hard drive and replaced my 500 GB drive with it.  I had started a http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578479/changing-hdd-size-on-bootable-backup/ thread here.  I am getting this attached screen when I start the system.  I have tried re-installing from my Windows 7 disk to no avail.  I ran a check disk this morning but it showed nothing.  The system starts once I hit enter which is at the bottom of the screen.  I have attempted to change in the bios and I assume it is since the system will eventually start.  Can someone help.  I do have another bootable backup and this one and one I did on my wife's machine work flawlessly.  The backup was done using Casper 8.0 BTW.

Attached Files

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 10 June 2015 - 06:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Does the following apply?

"Does Casper work with Advanced Format Drives (AFD)?
While Casper has complete support for cloning and imaging Advanced Format Drives (4KB sector size) devices with or without 512-byte sector emulation (512e), Casper does not currently support creating or mounting image file backups located on AFD devices reporting a native 4KB sector size."

Louis

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

Louis I can't answer that.  I do know that I have tried the other backups by changing boot drive in the bios of two machines and both have started without fail or glitch.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

Please...post the specific model this new hard drive is.  We may have to move this to Internal Hardware to ascertain the significance of this disclaimer by Casper...or resort to Casper support.

Louis

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

Here is the information.  

Western Digital Caviar Black 3.5 1 TB
SATA III Internal Hard Drive
WD1003FZEX, 7200RPM, 64 MB Cache

Louis here is a little more information for you to consider.  The screen above is no longer coming up but it's going straight to the attached screen. The highlighted command after Window setup is Windows 7 and this will start the computer fine from there.  It was showing this screen after the one above before.  Also I'm giving you a screen shot of the drives folders. 

Attached Files

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 11 June 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

Well...the drive you purchased IS an AFD drive...and I don't know anything about how to interpret that statement by Casper.  I've never seen any indication before by any developer of backup software...that there would possibly be glitches when using with a given type of hard drive.

The screen above indicates that Windows is having a problem reading data on the drive...we already knew that.

I cannot tell you if the hard drive is the problem...or whether your backup (the file system/files you put on the drive)..are the problem.  You could eliminate the doubt by running the diagnostic tool, Data Lifeguard For DOS - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en .

Louis

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for the help Louis.  I will run the diagnostic tool you posted the link to.  I'll let you know what it finds.  

This seems to be tied somehow to how the boot sequence is being read.  What is you opinion on whether upgrading the OS might straighten this out?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

IMO, it's simple...either the drive or the software you used for the backup...is the problem.

I can't account for the foibles of the software, you need to contact the program developer for questions regarding the program.

The diagnostic (you want to run the extended test) will provide us with answers to functionality questions re the hard drive.

Louis

#9 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:13 PM

Ran the extended test and it passed.

Do you think it is ok to remove the Windows setup files? 

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

I have no idea what you mean.

You say that...the hard drive passes the diagnostic...you have tried to a clean install of Windows...your bootable backup doesn't install.  IMO, those statements are not compatible with the idea that anything should be done other than starting from scratch, with a clean install.

Louis

#11 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for your help on this, I appreciate it.

#12 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

I thought I would update this as I have resolved the problem and now boot normally.  In the screen shown in post #5, Windows Boot Manager, it lists Windows Setup and Windows 7.  The Windows Setup was being read as an operating system and was the default. It needed to be removed which was easily done inside of the System area in Control Panel.  I had to go to System Properties under the Advanced System Settings and choose the Advanced tab.  I had to make changes in the Startup and Recovery area.  Once I did this I restarted the computer and it started normally.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

Glad you resolved it...thanks for sharing. 

The only time I recall seeing "Windows Setup" is on an install disc...or when an install disc is in the optical drive bay and I'm using the disc to either install Windows or attempt repairs.  But I don't pay attention to everything when I know what I want to do :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users