Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 librat1972

librat1972

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

Hi. I have a desktop running Windows XP that I just formatted and reinstalled the Windows XP. I know it's no longer supported anywhere, and I broke down and got a new computer lol but I'm hoping someone might have a solution here because this is driving me nuts. The other day, I ran a virus scan and when it asked to restart, it kept looping back to the Dell screen. It wouldn't even start in safe mode. I'm no computer genius, but I know a little and Google a lot, so I tried everything. I ended up formatting and reinstalling. Well it is back to normal except my Wi-Fi is not working. Everything else in the house is working fine.... Xbox, tablets, smart tv etc... I installed the drivers for the wireless adapter and it sees my network but when I connect, it says limited or no connectivity. I did ipconfig and it gives me some random ip address and a blank default gateway. I know it's probably something I am overlooking. Maybe a setting somewhere? I am open to all suggestions :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

What is the make and model of the computer or if custom built the motherboard make and model? 

Also, are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? If so Right click the device, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line shown.

Edit: Does your XP install include SP3?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#3 librat1972

librat1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

All I could find was Dell Optiplex 6X620 on the motherboard. It was a custom build but not by me. There are no exclamation marks, just a few question marks, but they were for the monitor and sound card. Also no SP3. Only SP2 with no updates cuz I cannot get on the internet yet.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

XP SP3 has many wireless improvements. You can download the standalone installer for SP3 here. Download it and copy it to a USB flash drive. Can you connect using Ethernet to get on the internet? The motherboard should have a Ethernet port.

I think it is a GX620 Here is the support page. There are a number of Network Drivers but only one for Wireless. I would install SP3 first then see if the computer can connect using Ethernet. 

After installing SP3 then install the following drivers.

Install this Chipset Driver first

This is your Ethernet Driver.

This is your Wireless Driver

#5 librat1972

librat1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

Thank you :) I'm getting closer now. I can get on the internet but cannot navigate if that makes sense. Like I can type in google.com and it will go to Google but I cannot click on a link. It says web page cannot be displayed. It IE opens up to MSN then I cannot navigate away, but if I type an address in the address bar it will go to that address. I hope that made sense lol

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

Can you do security updates using Windows Update? XP came with ie6 which is a security risk. Download and install either Firefox or Chrome and see if you can access web pages.

Does this happen both wirelessly and using Ethernet?

#7 librat1972

librat1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

It won't connect wireless but I can get around with Firefox with the Ethernet connection. I'm having issues with Microsoft updates. It only works with IE and IE is what's giving me problems with the internet. Won't let me do anything. Page cannot be displayed. Thanks for all your he'll so far. Baby steps lol

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

I think you need to install the Windows Update Agent. I had the same problem on a clean install of XP.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100334

After installing, reboot and see if you can access Windows Updates.

#9 librat1972

librat1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

We have a winner :) Thank you so much!! So far so good. I'm downloading updates now

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:10 AM

Your Welcome, Please post back if you your wireless is still not functioning.

#11 librat1972

librat1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

Everything but the wireless is working. It still won't connect. :(

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

#13 librat1972

librat1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

USB\Vid_148f&Pid_5370&Rev_0101
I'm saving everything I have downloaded and when I get things back to normal I'm burning a disk. I'm not going through this again lol

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

I think this is a raylink chipset. Go here and download the first one on the page for the RT2870 

If this works I have some options you can use to create a disk image or put a recovery partition on the hard drive that will let  you boot to the recovery partition using a pre-boot key press.

#15 librat1972

librat1972
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

That worked! Thank you so much :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users