Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Net Neutrality Takes Effect On Friday...Already Having Positive Effect For Users

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

SOURCE: Net neutrality takes effect Friday; ISPs scramble to avoid complaints | Ars Technica

The latest news occurred today when AT&T and network operator Cogent announced a new interconnection agreement for exchanging Internet traffic. If AT&T Internet users were experiencing trouble reaching websites, this could resolve that problem for any Internet traffic traveling from Cogent to AT&T.....................

...........Besides Cogent's new deals with Verizon and AT&T, transit provider Level 3 has signed recent agreements with AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast............

ISPs have asked a federal court to halt the implementation of the rules pending a final judgment on their lawsuit against the commission. But the settlements with Cogent and Level 3 indicate that they expect the rules to take effect.

If any disputes remain unresolved on Friday, the FCC could field some complaints.

"I sincerely hope I don’t have to file any, but I am also prepared," CEO Dave Schaeffer said last month. "If any of the mass market ISPs violate the consumer protection provisions outlined in the Open Internet Order, we will go to the [FCC's] Enforcement Bureau and file a complaint."

complaints-640x480.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 10 June 2015 - 02:32 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

Some United States ISPs block mails from a security vendor of all things... at least this change will have a positive effect for the consumers.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:25 PM

Some United States ISPs block mails from a security vendor of all things... at least this change will have a positive effect for the consumers.

Net neutrality does not ensure email will not be filtered for the ISP's definition of spam. That is an entirely different argument. Net neutrality is about accessing content, preferential treatment for content and throttling bandwidth. Yes it's much more complex than that, but that is the quick brief overview.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

And the million dollar question...who gets to decide what content is appropriate or not?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

Indeed that is the million dollar question.

Don't filter spam and have a useless mail service no one will use, thereby becoming a revenue losing model. Or filter spam knowing some false positives are part of the cost of doing business. But in the end have a viable business model that generates revenue for your shareholders. But lose a few customers as a result of filtering anything?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

How is it an ISP's job to filter and not filter email, email should be going to your email account. If you use webmail then your ISP should just treat it like you visiting a website (and not interfere with what might or might not be in your inbox). I am not sure what proportion of people use webmail but for those who do their ISP should have nothing to do with what emails they do and do not get. For those who use an email account provided by their ISP things will be different, but I don't think this is all that common any more.

As for net-neutrality in principle and in the context of website traffic, glad to see it is being respected as important and soon to be enforced.

Edited by rp88, 12 June 2015 - 04:38 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

As for net-neutrality in principle and in the context of website traffic, glad to see it is being respected as important and soon to be enforced.

I suspect that you and many others will come to regret that.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

How is it an ISP's job to filter and not filter email, email should be going to your email account.

You do realize that at least 80 percent of all email traffic is spam? That is filtered at one level or another. The spam you actually get in your email is a tiny fraction of the stuff that is actually generated. No thank YOU! I do NOT want to deal with email without filters. If I don't get an email I'll take the trouble to get it one way or another. Not have to sift through hundreds of pieces of spam and tweak filters day in and day out as they figure out better ways to get through.

How is it their job to filter email? It's a service, just like the ability to forward email. To store X amount of GB of mail on their servers. You don't like it? Find a different email provider. That's why there are alternative mail providers. Personally I like mine spam filtering 80% of the crap for me.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

But google deals with this spam filter for gmail, yahoo deals with it for yahoo mail, microsoft deals with it for hotmail... and so on. I understand what you say about it being important that spam is filtered out but for webmail accounts I cannot see how the ISP has anything to do with the filtering. Surely the filtering is be done by the provider of the webmail, not by the ISP who simply provide a connection from you to the webmail provider's webpages.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

ISPs have their own email programs.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 nate613

nate613

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

"ISPs have their own email programs."

Yes, isps do, but the argument made was that these isps shouldn't be filtering spam from other email providers, such as gmail or Yahoo. If they filter their own email, that's a service, but if they filter someone else's, that would be uncalled for interference.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

That is not how I read the argument. Spam filtering is done at the mail server level. Not at the layer 3 level of the OSI model. An ISP would not and should not if they are adhering to the net neutrality laws, spam filter at layer 3. Only at the mail server if they provide that service.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Two comments this week on Net Neutrality: (SOURCE....So Far Net Neutrality Hasn’t Broken The Internet | TechCrunch)

Chairman Tom Wheeler, in a statement, called the new regulations “a huge victory for Internet consumers and innovators.” Pre-echoing that point, Wheeler said earlier this year — during an interview with TechCrunch — that the new “Open Internet protections” are the “strongest” that “anyone has ever imagined.”

Mike Montgomery of CALinnovates, a technology interest group, told TechCrunch that if the party in the White House changes, things could rapidly shift:

A Republican President will surely make the appointment of a new FCC Chairman a priority, and that new Chairman would likely take a sledgehammer to the Open Internet Order as her or his first order of business. […] The new President’s appointment of a new FCC Chairman will shift the balance of power at the Commission, turning a 3-2 Democratic majority into a Democratic minority, thus providing the votes to either completely overturn the imposition of Title II or drastic forbearance, leading to a theoretical ‘wild west’ that would lack any clear rules of the road, which would create a nightmare scenario for consumers, startups and the greater business community, and investors.

Montgomery said that if the net neutrality rules lose in court, it could lead to “a situation where fast lanes, blocking, and throttling will be squarely back on the table.”

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

When I was a student at IU, which provide their own e-mail service, incoming mail from other sources were filtered so that certain mail would not reach IU e-mail inboxes regardless of what provider service the e-mail was coming from.  That said, I know for a fact that if that same e-mail were sent to a non-IU e-mail address though still being sent over the IU network in terms of travel, that e-mail not be filtered by IU.  Those filters were in place to help prevent infections etc. from getting onto the IU network.  A quote from part of an e-mail exchange from a company whose e-mail to me was being blocked by the university server.

The server for my e-mail account is through the university, and they block several
attachment extensions to protect the system from viruses. Also, they block
password protected and encrypted attachments because they cannot be scanned
for viruses.

The company was able to successfully send the e-mail to me to a different e-mail address that was not provided by the university even though I was using the university network to access that e-mail account.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 sp1ke0kill3r

sp1ke0kill3r

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

That is not how I read the argument. Spam filtering is done at the mail server level. Not at the layer 3 level of the OSI model. An ISP would not and should not if they are adhering to the net neutrality laws, spam filter at layer 3. Only at the mail server if they provide that service.

I would add that filtering also prevents congestion and while MS, goolge et al might filter, doesn't say anything about whether say comcast or Frontier filter or effectively filter.  I don't think ISPs set out to filter gmail, yahoo etc. If a certain piece of mail fits the filters spam definition, then that is it. As for the security emails, they could also be getting accidentally black listed. It doesn't follow that because someone isn't receiving a given email that your ISP is blocking it. 

Like AV,  I am sure spam filtering is by definition behind the curve and there are no doubt some filtering that works better than others. The mere fact that we still get SPAM; and have to manage it to some degree indicates there isn't ENOUGH filtering. Similarly I am sure there is probably subcategories for things like Phishing and malware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users