Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a New PC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

Several months ago, I posted here and asked for help in building a new PC.  I received a lot of good advice and information, especially from jonuk76 but I decided to postpone getting a new PC.  I think I'm ready to pick out a new system and I'd like a little more advice.  Here are the updated parts I've selected:

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming Series Mid-ATX 

Asus Z97-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X 4GB GDDR5 (11227-00-40G)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz (I'm considering getting 16GB RAM)

WD Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 7200RPM 64MB Hard Drives

Cooler Master i600-series 600W 80Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply  (I think I might need a more powerful power supply)

DVD writer (I'll select this component at the end)

I'll use this PC for a wide variety of things, including video editing and gaming.  My budget is around $1000 CAD for parts.  The video card uses a lot of power so I'm thinking about getting an 800W PSU instead of the one listed above.  I'm also unsure if this case is suitable for this build.  I'd like a case that has good airflow and isn't too loud.

I'm also unsure about how many fans I should buy to keep the temperature down.  I'm thinking about getting this CPU cooler - http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Edited by Ted Striker, 10 June 2015 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

What software for editing are you planning on using you may want to double check with the vendor of the software to find video cards 'supported' under their specs.  Some cards may be better than others in this respect.  Are you going to be gaming mostly with light editing?  Or editing mostly with occasional gaming.  Video cards intended for editing may not be as well suited for gaming and it is sometimes difficult to find the happy medium. Since you will be video editing I would recommend the extra 2x8GB for 16 GB ram.  I also didn't notice an operating system listed in your build so you want to budget for that. Hope this helps ~ Yeah

Looks like you picked a bad day to stop sniffin glue.... LOL-- Hows that drinkin problem?

Edited by YeahBleeping, 10 June 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#3 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements.  Video editing is just a hobby, just like gaming but I'd like to get a new PC that's capable of playing the latest games and be able to handle video editing as well.  I also use the PC for work related things too but the applications I use for this are not resource intensive.

My budget is for parts only.

Looks like you picked a bad day to stop sniffin glue.... LOL-- Hows that drinkin problem?

lol! The problem is getting better but every now and then I realize my shirt is drenched. ;)

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:39 PM

If you don't plan on overclocking (doubt it judging by the non K series CPU). Then your money might be better spent getting a good quality lower end board with a non OC chipset (55$ vs 120$) and spending the cash saved on a better CPU. Say the Xeon E3-1231V3 for 250$ as it's just a i7 4770 (that 4590 with hyper threading) but with the iGPU disabled and for almost 60$ less. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

Several months ago, I posted here and asked for help in building a new PC.  I received a lot of good advice and information, especially from jonuk76 but I decided to postpone getting a new PC.  I think I'm ready to pick out a new system and I'd like a little more advice.  Here are the updated parts I've selected:

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming Series Mid-ATX 

Asus Z97-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X 4GB GDDR5 (11227-00-40G)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz (I'm considering getting 16GB RAM)

WD Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 7200RPM 64MB Hard Drives

Cooler Master i600-series 600W 80Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply  (I think I might need a more powerful power supply)

DVD writer (I'll select this component at the end)

I'll use this PC for a wide variety of things, including video editing and gaming.  My budget is around $1000 CAD for parts.  The video card uses a lot of power so I'm thinking about getting an 800W PSU instead of the one listed above.  I'm also unsure if this case is suitable for this build.  I'd like a case that has good airflow and isn't too loud.

I'm also unsure about how many fans I should buy to keep the temperature down.  I'm thinking about getting this CPU cooler - http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Ted,

Just 2 suggestions...

1. Go i7 instead of the i5

2. You state drives plural.  I would advise a SSD for the OS & a HDD for Data.

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 11 June 2015 - 12:23 AM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

Getting the cheapest i7 may be a good idea with HyperThreading, depending on the applications you run.  Intel will be releasing their Skylake processors in a few months, I would wait for those to come out unless you really need an upgrade right now.

Swapping out your current R9 290X for the EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 or, if you can afford it, the EVGA 04G-P4-2981-KR GeForce GTX 980, is an idea.  Some games, like The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Unity, are using Nvidia GameWorks which are tailored to their GPU's.  The 970 gives about the same performance as the R9 290X.

3939.png

#7 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

If you don't plan on overclocking (doubt it judging by the non K series CPU). Then your money might be better spent getting a good quality lower end board with a non OC chipset (55$ vs 120$) and spending the cash saved on a better CPU. Say the Xeon E3-1231V3 for 250$ as it's just a i7 4770 (that 4590 with hyper threading) but with the iGPU disabled and for almost 60$ less. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the CPU on my list is good enough but I'm open to suggestions.  I did a bit of research and the i7 4770 is about $120 more expensive than the i5 4590.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54590

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74770

Although the i7 performs better, the value for performance is pretty similar according to CPU Boss.  Unless this CPU will become a bottleneck, I'd rather stick with this one and spend a bit more money on a solid motherboard.

#8 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

Ted,

Just 2 suggestions...

1. Go i7 instead of the i5

2. You state drives plural.  I would advise a SSD for the OS & a HDD for Data.

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

I think this CPU is a good choice but I'll look into this further.

My mistake, I'm only getting 1 hard drive.  I think SSDs are too expensive so for now I'm not going to get one.  In the future, I may look into getting future SSDs that support NVMe.

Edited by Ted Striker, 11 June 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#9 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:55 PM

Getting the cheapest i7 may be a good idea with HyperThreading, depending on the applications you run.  Intel will be releasing their Skylake processors in a few months, I would wait for those to come out unless you really need an upgrade right now.

Swapping out your current R9 290X for the EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 or, if you can afford it, the EVGA 04G-P4-2981-KR GeForce GTX 980, is an idea.  Some games, like The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Unity, are using Nvidia GameWorks which are tailored to their GPU's.  The 970 gives about the same performance as the R9 290X.

I've been putting off getting a new PC for a while now so I don't think I'll wait a few more months.

I looked into graphics cards quite extensively and the GTX 970 was my second choice.  I picked the R9 290 because it's less expensive and it performs slightly better than the GTX 970.  I've read about how certain games perform much better on Nvidia cards but I think this will change in the future once AMD gets access to the source code, or works closer with game developers.

What about suggestions about a case, power supply and cooling fans?

Edited by Ted Striker, 11 June 2015 - 06:12 PM.

#10 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $128.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-11 19:43 EDT-0400

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:58 PM

I did a bit of research and the i7 4770 is about $120 more expensive than the i5 4590.

Meant the Xeon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316

Costs the same as your i5, but has hyper threading, and if you believe Intel, hyper threading gives up to a 40% boost in performance as of their latest revisions. 

Remember though, no integrated GPU which can make troubleshooting a real pain. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#12 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

@TheN00bBuilder, thanks for the suggestions and links.  I'll look into that case and psu.

edit: I like the case but there's no optical drive bay and I need this.

@SEANIA, ah sorry, I misunderstood.  This does look like a better chip but the lack of an integrated GPU can be a problem, like you mentioned.  It's also more expensive.  I live in Canada and newegg.ca has it on sale for $320.

Edited by Ted Striker, 14 June 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#13 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

@SEANIA, ah sorry, I misunderstood.  This does look like a better chip but the lack of an integrated GPU can be a problem, like you mentioned.  It's also more expensive.  I live in Canada and newegg.ca has it on sale for $320.

Canada, sometimes, no reason, that sucks. 

Know I already said it butttttt- should consider using a 45-55$ board. Even most of  the special ports on those boards can be had on 60-80$ boards. The extra 50$/70$ for the Z87/Z97 boards is just for the enabling of overclocking. Main thing i always see people use money at where they'll never notice it. 

Unlike AMD boards (right now) where the TDP is so high for their chips that only higher end boards can run the beefier ones. Intel has a socket (1150) wattage cap of 130 watts. With their most power hungry (1150) chip only using 85 watts. Means that regular boards can run them without any problem and no performance difference (within margins of error). As long as you get a board from a reputable company there is actually no quality difference either. The higher prices from their 50$ to 130$ is just caused by the OC chip sets costing more as well as additional add on chips for more/different ports. Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, ect all like having a high minimum of quality for their boards so that you know if you're buying one of their boards, no matter at what price, you know you're buying something that's no going to fail (unless it's DOA). 

It's not like it use to be where the CPU was largely dependent on the motherboard. Almost anything that could effect performance has been moved on chip for efficiency (also levels the playing field and assures rated spec of their CPUs). 

#14 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

Can you recommend a good motherboard at that price range?

#15 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

Can you recommend a good motherboard at that price range?

Pulled up Newegg Canada this time. XD Prices 10$ more a board then US counter parts, cause CAD. Matches current conversion of 0.81 I suppose. 

60$ CAD (Newegg) Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V (rev. 1.0)

65$ CAD (Newegg) MSI H81M-P33

65$ CAD (Newegg) ASUS H81M-K

Any of those would work. At the low end there isn't much variation between manufacturers. Just pick whichever brand you like more. The Gigabyte board has their "Ultra Durable 4" tech, MSI board has their "Military Class 4", and the ASUS features their "High Endurance X4". All three companies make sure their low end is of quality. Manufacturer page links for the specific boards if you'd like more info- Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS. All support the CPU you want, I personally checked their support pages to make sure. It is recommended you update the BIOS on all of them ASAP since you're using one of the refreshed chips. 

Avoid Biostar, ECS, and Foxconn. They all make really cheap boards (in a bad way). With how well Intel's lower chip sets are made to run on anything stable, they might still work a long while, but I wouldn't risk it. You can tell they aren't quality since they don't make an attempt at trying to manufacture the harder to stabilize chip sets with large amounts of features to make work. ASRock lays somewhere in between the top three and low three.

If you'd like future compatibility with Intel's promised supper efficient "broadwell" 5th gen i3/i5/i7 range of CPU's, the 100$ USD 130$ CAD Z97 chipset wasn't the only chipset upgraded to support it. They also updated the H81 chip set, the much cheaper chip set usually found on 50$/55$ USD 60$/65$ CAD boards, to H97 and will also support the new CPUs just like the Z97 boards. They're 15$ more right now (65$-ish) since the old stuff is still around, but a good option if you'd like better future compatibility upgrade options. Edit- checked Newegg Canada and they start at 100$ CAD compared to the Z97 130$ CAD and our H97 USD 65$......why CA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users