Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i7 2600 overclocking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rainbrew

Rainbrew

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

My computer posesses an i7 2600 with a hyper 212 evo cooler attached to it and under 100% load none of the cores on it exceed 56-7°C. Im a total newbie to overclocking and am unsure what the optimal temperatures would be and how many GHz I can safely squeeze out of my cpu without overheating it or significantly lowering it's lifetime. Any and all help is more than welcome :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

If this is the 2600 and not the 2600k than you cannot overclock it.  The multiplier is locked you would need the 'K' versions of Intel processors to do overclocking.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

FWIW:  Max operating temp for that CPU appears to be 72 Celsius.

Louis

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:25 PM

Definitely has headroom like Louis says. 72°C is the max safe long term temperature for maximum lifespan (10/15 years), but if you hit 75°C don't worry. Most OCers won't worry about temp till they hit 90's since that's where you start seeing more immediate damage with the emergency shut down temperature being 98°C. They'll run at 85°C the entire time and the chips lifespan will usually be halved because of that. 

Even if it's not a unlocked chip, as long as it's on a over clock enabled motherboard the base clock can be adjusted to raise the GHz . Bad news is that the 2600 does not like its base clock being changed at all. The default base clock speed for it is 100mhz and you'd be lucky if it'd go up to 105mhz. Maxing the chip out at 3.57Ghz.

Personally isn't worth it to me, but if you really want to squeeze that tiny bit of performance out of it try this. 1st- set the voltage to 1.3V. 2nd- Nudge the base clock up by one, restart and boot into windows, test if stable, and then keep repeating till it becomes unstable or you reach 105 base clock. 3rd- done, but notify us of results on the page so we can see if we helped any. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users