Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 viorelgn

viorelgn

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

I perfomed the recent registry hack for XP that would fool it into thinking I have POS 2009 installed and offer updates through Microsoft Update.  Then I decided I didn't trust the idea and did not download any of the updates. I would like to remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady registry subkey but have been unable to achieve this, even using RegAssassin.  Is ther any setting to choose where this thing can be deleted once booted into Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

I have used XP computers with the registry hack and I have not come across any problems but I cannot say that would be your case. Are you saying you cannot delete the key? 

I am not sure why you cannot delete that key. Try turning off Windows Update and then reboot to see if you can delete the key. If not then you can delete it offline using Kaspersky Rescue Disk's Registry Editor.

You can also change the "Installed" subkey Dword to 0 from 1 to disable it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#3 viorelgn

viorelgn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

The problem is that i cannot instal any versions of office.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

Okay, then I would delete the key using Kaspersky registry editor if you cannot delete it after turning off Windows Update. You may want to look at the permissions of the registry key.

Edit: I am not sure this would work but have you tried deleting the key in safe mode?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2015 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users