Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Support Thread for the "Get Windows 10" app not working

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hi everyone :)

I just thought that I would create a thread for the "Get Windows 10" app on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update that isn't working on certain computers. There's quite a lot of users asking about it in other threads, and I thought that it would be easier if everyone having this issue was in the same thread to share what they tried, what didn't work and what worked. I'll compile pretty much every known solutions for this issue, but be aware none of them are guaranteed to work and sometimes, a solution will involve to wait a certain time (even a day or two) in order to see if it works or not.

So far, here's the most popular "non-official" instructions to fix that issue, posted by Yaqub K (the first reply in the thread).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

If you need help with this issue, post in this thread and we'll see what you can try. But before doing that, obviously, try every solutions posted in the link above.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Perfect timing Aura,

I was just about to post a question regarding this issue on a brand new HP desktop I just purchased.  I’ve had it for 5 days now (Windows 8.1), did all the updates, but no "Get Windows 10" app on my screen.  The fix seems to have worked perfectly.

Strange . . . I just UNSUBSCRIBED the reservation on a Windows 7.1 computer because I DIDN'T want it.  On this computer I couldn’t get it and I DO want it. :lol:

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

No problem MalwareMultilator, glad to see that it helped you! :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

I just got a new PC too

My upgrade to 10 is on the bottom right hand corner by the clock

I thought we had to wait till July 29th?

Edited by Norseman143, 10 June 2015 - 04:24 PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

You still have to wait until July 29th Norseman. This app is just to reserve your copy of Windows 10. On the 29th, it'll start to download the update. Once done, it'll ask you wether you want to install it now or at a later date.

unite_blue.png

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

Thats what I thought, by reading the threads in this forum.

At first I didnt think I had it either because I didnt see it in the bottom tool bar

But its by the clock

Anyway, that will just act like an update and launch by itself right?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

Once the download will be finished, you'll be notified, and from there you can decide of your course of action: to upgrade right away or to upgrade later.

unite_blue.png

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hello Norseman143,

Anyway, that will just act like an update and launch by itself right?

In addition to what Aura mentioned above, you can also get quite a bit of information regarding the procedure just by clicking on that Windows icon on your system tray. :)

bloopie

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

I will do that thanks!

I did go to there web site the other day to try and see what all these changes are going to be

Being that I am still trying to figure out all the changes in 8.1, and am getting it all figured out.

Now I will have to figure out a new one

I miss XP

#10 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

I have spent much of the day applying the series of fixes (quick and longer) from a download via DropBox.  It involved a Registry edit, after reporting that all updates were installed.  None of the fixes worked. I believe this to have been (one of) the most up to date 'troubleshooters' so far.  The last time I examined it, less than an hour ago,  the MS Community Forum seemed to be getting out of date as far as this issue is concerned with suggestions tailing off.  I seem to have exhausted most of the current options and dont know what to do next. 

Windows 8.1 with all requirements met.

clayto

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

You'll have to wait until other "fixes" are found, because so far the last batch script was pretty much what solved that issue for a lot of users that tried everything before that.

unite_blue.png

#12 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:55 PM

I may have made a bit of progress.

I have attempted the activation of gwx in Task Scheduler, described in another Forum.

After restarting my Tablet I find that gwx does not show up in the icons customisation Window as I believe it should ( I have seen a screenshot of this).  It would seem that one thing that is not right is the failure of gwx to appear despite it having been enabled and set to run in Task Scheduler.  So what do I do now to get it (and hopefully the upgrade icon) to appear?

clayto

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

Is it possible that the computer from which you're trying to get the "Get Windows 10" app on doesn't meet the requirements posted in the Microsoft thread I linked in the OP?

unite_blue.png

#14 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

No, I really dont think so.  I have checked it out many times.  The only issue is that my maximum  screen resolution is not as high as recommended but I understand this will just limit the extent to which snap can operate, as it does now anyway.  On other forums, including MS Community, many folk are reporting not getting the upgrade app despite having compatible systems.  In fact the MS Community thread is now quite a shambles with even an advisor saying he has lost track of the posts he is replying to because there so many of them!  My Outlook inboxis stuffed full of replies. 

clayto

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

Well if none of the instructions posted in the Microsoft thread works, there's nothing really we can do. We'll have to wait until Microsoft push a fix for it or someone else come up with a solution sadly. All the solutions so far are unofficial and experimental.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users