Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jnspn92

jnspn92

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:20 AM

I have a couple of problems with my computer. It is a Gateway about 3 years old. I'm at my work computer so I'm not sure of it's memory ,etc. I have several problems. When I open programs someitmes after I close them the screen will not disappear. If I open another program on top of it I can move the screen where it erases all things on my screen leaving only the screensaver. When I'm on the internet and I try to open a secondary screen it says the program is not responding and I have to X out of the original screen and reopen Internet Explorer. I have used Norton, spyhunter and Yahoo anti-spy to see if it's a virus or adware. Everytime I reboot my computer it tries to run CHKDSK and asks me which version of Windows XP to run. Lastly, I can not defragment because I get an error message saying that it needs to run chkdsk f anto chkdsk c but won't let me change the drive. I am not that computer literate but have searched the microsoft website but found no answers. Can I do anything about these problems or should I just buy a new computer? Maybe just get out the Windows disks and start new? The compputer doesn't hav much on it because I only have dial-up in the country and I have plenty of memory left on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

I am making this suggestion in a strong way - Please backup all of your important data on all of your hard drive(s). If the system keeps asking for chkdsk to be run there is a problem with the hard drive and eventually it is not going to work and you will be up the creek without a paddle to row with. You are at the beginning of a hard drive failure or a complete system failure.

Make sure you have the original install software from Gateway for your computer you will probably need it.

The reason your system wants to keep running chkdsk is because it sees problems on your hard drive and apparently it can not fix them so it wants to keep running it.

If I am scaring you I do apologize but it is coming.

#3 jnspn92

jnspn92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

Thank you for your reply! I don't have anything too important on my home computer it is basically for games and web surfing(playing poker). I don't have music or anything on it. I have reinstalled my original disks and it owrked for a couple of months. Why would the computer on reboot give me the option of which Windows XP Edition to run? Does it matter if I pick the top or bottom one. Their is no difference between the two options that I can see. I have been using the top one but maybe I should use the other?

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

If you have re-installed Windows just a couple of months ago and it is doing this to you I would say you have some very serious infections going on. If this is the case we can try to find out what is going on by having you run a HijackThis and try to diagnose the problems and also try to fix them. This might take a bit of time but you will end up pretty clean and should be working.

About the two lines you are getting when you boot up are they both the same words? Maybe you should post what they say?

Let me now what you wish to do and I will give you the instructions for it.

#5 jnspn92

jnspn92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

I will try the hijack when I get home. When I reboot it gives two windows XP home edition programs. They are both written the same. "Windows XP HOME EDITION". and gives me the option of which one to run they are both identical in description. I will post the hijackthis thread later tonight. thank you for your help so far.

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:30 PM

Have you tried running scandisk? You can do this by right clicking on your hard drive, do you have two of them? Just run scandisk on both drives then defragment should work. Also, go to the control panel and double click on system. That will tell you how much ram you have. If this is gateway and three years ago I'm betting you have 256, if this is the case you might want to consider boosting your ram to 1 gig, this is about what you need to run xp home.

#7 jnspn92

jnspn92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

My computer chkdsk's every time I reboot. I currently can't defragment because it gives me the error message"Chkdsk is running in volume c" "Chkdsk must run from volume f." I can't figure out how to get it to use the right drive.

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

Have you tried booting it up in safe mode and running a scandisk/defrag?

#9 jnspn92

jnspn92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:34 PM

I will try to run in it in safe mode then I will run a hijack this thread and see if those two items will work . I will let everyone how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users