Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on "Installing update 6 of 20" when attempting to shut down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChronoT

ChronoT

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

This is obviously not the first time I've had to wait for my computer to install updates when shutting down. But it has been stuck on update 6 of 20 for the past 30 minutes. Is that normal? I'm a bit nervous about turning the power off while it's busy. I really don't want to have to reformat as the guy who built my PC has the windows disc and I haven't backed up files I want to keep. I'm worried that this turns into something bigger than it should be. Any advice or opinions?

We're expecting to have a power outage not too long from now in our area.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:49 PM

Is this a desktop or laptop computer?

My wife just had 12 updates which took close to thirty minutes to complete.  This is not unusual.

The concern should be what happens if the power goes out.  If this is a laptop you will have the battery to keep the update going.  If it is a desktop the computer is going shut down without a chance to close what elver files are open at that time.

Edited by dc3, 10 June 2015 - 12:52 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ChronoT

ChronoT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

It's a desktop. And the same update 6 of 20 has been going for a bit over an hour now.

#4 ChronoT

ChronoT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

Well the power has just gone out while it was still installing updates. I just hope this won't cause problems. Because I can't afford to have any.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:16 AM

Is this computer still bootable?

If not, what is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a custom build, do you have the installation disc for your version of Windows 7?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users