Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus desktop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:52 AM

This is a little bit of a long story I have to tell you so I don't get flamed for a pirated copy of 8.1.My daughter has had an Asus desktop she bought at Best Buy a couple of years ago.About 6 months ago she bought a copy of Rollback in case she had computer problems.Well she did and tried to rollback

the OS.Everything went well untill she lost power for about two hours.Booted back up and nothing

but a black screen.I went over to work on it but couldn't get anywhere.Here is the fun part.Took it to a

computer shop to be fixed.He called me and said the hard drive was split into 10 small partitions.He

figures it must have been the rollback program.Anyway he reformatted the drive and installed 8.1 and

AVG free.Told ya this was gonna be long.My daughter bought Kaspersky anti-virus and I installed it for her.Did not uninstall AVG at that point to make sure Kaspersky installed right.I did disable AVG and took it out of startup.I did a scan to make sure all was ok.Kaspersky picked up KMS activator.I googled it and found out it activates illegal copies of Windows.I was curious why AVG didn't pick it up so I checked the

whitelist and it's in there.Not only is it an illegal copy but it's 32 bit instead of 64 bit.So,I called the computer place and he is no longer in business.The best I can tell he screwed her and she didn't know it.

Long winded ha.I need some help on what to do.I came up with 2 options.Buy a legal copy of 8.1 and

wait for the 10 upgrade or wait untill 10 is released and buy a legal copy.Does anyone have any other suggestions,I could use the advice,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hi Plumber :)

I would suggest you to buy a legitimate copy of Windows 8.1 and then install it on your system. If you don't, you won't be able to get support from BleepingComputer since we don't offer assistance to users using illegally activated programs. Plus, if you buy Windows 8.1, you'll still be eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10 in the first years of the release and Windows 8.1 right now will be less expansive than Windows 10, so its a good deal. If you need help with the reinstallation let me know.

On a side note, never have more than one Antivirus installed on a system at a time. Even if they are disabled, it can cause system issues and conflicts. So if you are to install one Antivirus, uninstall the other before.

Also, the reason why AVG didn't pick up the KMS Activator is probably because it isn't known to them at this time. If you upload the executable on VirusTotal, you'll see which Antivirus and Antimalware companies detects it and which one doesn't :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

Did the computer come with Windows 8 when purchased. If so then the original Windows 8 key is embedded in firmware and you can download a full version of Windows 8.1 here. Make sure you download the same version as what was on the machine, home or pro. Most likely Home.

If you can boot the computer use FirmwareTablesview to see the Windows 8 key. Look under the MSDM table. You can confirm the key using Produkey.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios/

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

Disregard my advice on buying Windows 8.1 for now I forgot this laptop was prebuilt. Follow John's instructions.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Actually,I deleted KMS from the whitelist and ran a scan and AVG did pick it up.That's what led me to believe he did it intentionally so we wouldn't find out.As far as the other,I will buy 8.1 and then upgrade when the time comes.Also,that's why it was kind of a long story.

I had no intentions of using a pirated copy,I came here for help,not to be reminded about illegal copies,I know better than that.So

I will follow your advice and thank-you.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

I misread your whole post apparently. For now you can follow John's instructions and if you find the product key you won't have to buy Windows 8.1 again. As for AVG I thought the KMS wasn't white listed.

unite_blue.png

#7 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

Thanks JohnC,I never thought of that and yes it was Windows8 home edition.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

Instead of Rollback I would download and use something like Macrium Refect Free or Aoemi Backupper. In both programs it will allow you to create a bootable disk that will let you recover the disk image from an external drive to an unbootable computer or to a new drive.  Another nice program from Aoemi is Onekey. After you install 8.1 use it to create a backup partition that can be accessed preboot. The image in the recovery partition can be updated as needed.

Edit: How Aoemi OneKey works.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#9 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

Aura,don't worry about it.It was so long winded that I was starting to see double.Thank-you for responding so quickly.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

No problem Plumber, let us know when you manage to re-activate Windows 8.1 :)

unite_blue.png

#11 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Many thanks to Aura and JohnC for the help.My daughter said everything went fine and she was able to find the key and activate it.

I guess I learned something new,thanks again.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

No problem Plumber, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#13 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

One other thing I would like to know.When she takes the Windows10 upgrade can she install it on a separate partition or will it automatically install over 8.1.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

The Windows 10 upgrade is an upgrade, so it'll install over Windows 8.1. If you want to install it on a separate partition, you'll have to download the Windows 10 .iso and install it on that partition manually.

unite_blue.png

#15 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

Thank-you,just wanted to make sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users