Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unresponsive computer with black screen AFTER LOGIN THE INTERNET

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 conundrumbc

conundrumbc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

I got a good one for u.

Sympthom: Unresponsive computer with black screen or vertical white and black strips AFTER LOGIN IN THE INTERNET.

I got a good one for u.

I know this symptom sounds strange, but the system is completely clean, fresh install of windows 8.1, I tried with 3 different displays, its not overheating temperatures either cpu and gpu are below 40º, I used 2 different network cards, one ethernet the other wireless, the router didn't change, but in my portable computer with windows 7 and 2 other pcs with windows 8 also, nothing happens there and they are connected to the same router. Mind also that the fans are still working, so its not a shutdown, I even trying to check that with a "shutdown -r -f -t XXX" and the symptom occurred and the computer didn't shutdown. And finally I did tried to update the drivers from both network cards also.

tldr: What causes unresponsive computer with black screen 30 to 50 sec after it logs online?

Best regards.

Edit:

New info for this thread:

If I login the pc in safe mode it logins and works well.

how can it be a software problem if its a fresh installation of the windows, no drivers at all installed...

I tried to fresh install it exactly due to the issue at hand, read above.

homemade desktop configuration:
msi 970 gaming (mb)
amd FX 8320 (cpu)
msi Radeon R9 270x gaming (gpu)
Mars MP700 700w (psu)
Crucial MX100 256gb (ssd)

Edited by conundrumbc, 11 June 2015 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please post the make and model number of the computer you are having issues with.

Once that is known, we can do some research to see if your not the only one who has experienced this problem.

History may show that your current system has a bad GPU hardware issue, that is if we're talking about a laptop here, but, as I said, without knowing what we are working with here, just has us drawing straws trying to answer your questions.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

Why was the fresh install of Win 8.1 done...what was wrong with the system before then?

Does the same stall occur if you boot into safe mode?

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

The vertical strips...how often have they occurred in the last week?

Louis

#4 conundrumbc

conundrumbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

Before the situation got to this point, occasionally the monitor would just shut down for 2 sec or so and come back.

And this black screen and vertical stripes also occurred 2 months ago, I sent the graphic cards to warranty and they sent the card back (or I think it was the same card) cause they didn't found anything wrong with it, and the fact is that during 2 months there was no problem at all, this happen all of a sudden.

And right now the situation, is a black screen right before login screen, or if I login in safe mode everything is ok.

This is if I can login in safe mode, cause with windows 8 "f8" doesn't really work, I have to reset at a point that I get the forced troubleshooting blue screen in post, so I can activate the "advanced booting options". if I dont get that I have to reinstall windows entirely.

Many thanks.

#5 conundrumbc

conundrumbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:03 AM

This situation was analyzed by 2 IT tecs up till now and none has an answer yet.
The graphic card was used in another pc (works fine).

It's a mystery, any help is welcome. ty

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hello, yes Mircosoft made it difficult to get windows 8.0 and 8.1 to boot into safe mode without using a windows installation disc to enter the recovery options and make a change.

Here is a tutorial that explains how to enable safe mode in Windows 8.1 while booted into Windows http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

If for any reason you can not get into windows via the hard drive, you can use a windows related installation disc and enter the recovery options. You have to get to the command prompt and change the drive parameters to your hard drive prefix such as C:\ then type BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY then press enter. Then type exit.
At boot up hit F8 and Safe Mode options will display on your screen.

Here is some instructions on how to do it if you can't get into Windows by following those instructions at the first link. You'll need a Windows installation disc to perform this task:
http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Those two options permanently enables Safe Mode.

Once we get the option to enter Safe Mode out of the way, let me know you had success and we'll go from there.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 June 2015 - 03:31 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users