Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Batch file to install software via GPO

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hello all, I am still pretty new to creating batch files to do various tasks.  I have been doing a lot of research on this to accomplish what I need!

Here it is:

1. I need to create a batch file that will install adobe acrobat pro and standard (specific workstations get either pro or standard).  I have already created the custom install file for both the pro and standard version using acrobat customization wizard.  

2. These batch files need to install on specific workstations, from my understanding I can create a separate .txt file that will point what computer gets what install.

3. There are about 200 workstations in total that are getting this install.

Other information:

I have set the new install to uninstall the old version of adobe that is currently on the workstation.  I do not have the option to purchase any software that would do this for me.  If someone has a better suggestion as to how to deploy this software I would be open to that.  Just from what I have researched this option seems to be the easiest!

Thanks in advance!

Jokerz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

This is a long way to do it because i would just use a Software Install GPO (Isbntead of a startup batch file) for Reader and another GPO targeting the other workstations for Adobe pro.

Anyway here is something you could work with.

You could just deploy this from your own terminal instead of usign a startup script/batch file.

@ECHO OFF
TITLE Adobe Reader Installer
ECHO *************************************************************
ECHO This will install Adobe Reader on remote nodes              *
ECHO Script by JohnnyJammer                                      *
ECHO *************************************************************
    SET /p target=What is the name of the Target computer:
ECHO Copying over Adobe Reader to %target%'s C:\ drive
    XCOPY /y "\\FQDN_Path\to\your\file\AdbeRdrUpd11011.msp" "\\%target%\C$"
ECHO Now installing Adobe Reader
    ::%target% could be reading a file like so
    ::wmic /node:@C:\SometextFilewithComputerNames.txt process call create "C:\AdbeRdrUpd11011.msp /sAll /msi /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES UPDATE_MODE=3"
    wmic /node:%target% process call create "C:\AdbeRdrUpd11011.msp /sAll /msi /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES UPDATE_MODE=3"
::Allow 5 minutes to install, may need more time for this!
ping -n 300 127.0.0.1 > %TMP%\PING
ECHO Checking version
wmic product where (name like 'adobe reader%%') get version
ECHO Cleaning up files........................
    del "\\%target%\C$\AdbeRdrUpd11011.msp"
    del %TMP%\PING
ECHO Done.......................................
    pause

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 14 June 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#3 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

Nice thanks!  I will give this a try!  Just out of curiosity what does the ping do?  I understand that 127.0.0.1 is a loop back test.  

Thanks again!

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

It pauses th script from carrying out the next command, you can also use (timeout /t 10) which would pause for 10 seconds (Windows 7 ^).

because you want this script to run in the background, just take out all the ECHO's and define the target list either from a txt file or just a single computer at a time(Which you would then leave the prompt.

To populatye a list of computers you could use the comamnd

net view | find /i "\\" | sort >> C:\SortedWorkstations.txt

So if i where you i would then create a login script for the Computer and run the script like so (Note you can also use Verbose mode on GPO to display what the computer is doign when they turn it on (Before login)).

@ECHO OFF
TITLE Adobe Reader Installer
::*************************************************************
::This will install Adobe Reader on remote nodes   *
::Script by JohnnyJammer                                      *
::*************************************************************
XCOPY /y "\\FQDN_Path\to\your\file\AdbeRdr11010_en_US.exe" "\\%computername%\C$"
wmic process call create "C:\AdbeRdr11010_en_US.exe /sAll /msi /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES UPDATE_MODE=3"
::Allow 5 minutes to install, may need more time for this!
ping -n 300 127.0.0.1 > %TMP%\PING
    del "C:\AdbeRdr11010_en_US.exe"
    del %TMP%\PING

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 15 June 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#5 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:41 AM

Good to know!  Thanks for all the help Johnny!  When I run it Ill let you know how it turns out!

Thanks

#6 jmendivil

jmendivil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:31 AM

Hello Everyone,

I need to install SEP cloud version in multiple computers, currently we have SEP locally installed on a Server and deploy that way but we are moving to the SEP CLOUD.

i need to a GPO or bat file that will allow me to Install the new SEP CLOUD and remove the local version SEP installed on the workstations, it's there a way to do that? scripts or batch files? 

i have the installation .mst .msi .exe for the new SEP CLOUD and its shared on the network,  can someone guide on the right direction? I appreciate all your help in advance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users